Morning Archery Elk Strategy

nontyp

Just curious how you guys like to hunt in the morning when the thermals are still going down. Do you walk ridges or walk valleys? Historically it seems like we usually hike valleys and then make our way up to the elk once we find one. It has worked well for us, but it seems like I always hear about people using ridges. We do hike ridges too, but just not usually early in the morning.

Horseback from camp, travel the valley trails until we hear some action. Find a good place to tie up and hoof it from there. Only bad thing about the horses, is sometimes I have followed elk for over 3 miles before turning back to return to the horses. 92A3025E-BBDB-49B5-A473-513949CE1FB2.JPG

^ Same, though it does depend on where I’m camped. If I sleep high for some reason (glassing until dark, easy access to a bedding area mid-morning, etc.) I’ll glass from a safe spot for wind until the thermals change, then head down.

The norm is to hunt into the thermal winds. However, in steep and rough area's that I hunt, several major canyons converge so the thermals are never normal. We continuously use our windicators and will always have a plan B, C, and D. Sometimes starting in the middle of the mountain can present many options. We found that elk can hear you and sometimes see you without busting them completely out. But if they smell you, it's over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back