Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

More on fat-assed mountain bikers

dgibson

From The Outdoor Wire: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mountain Bicyclists Bring Key Access Issues to Nation's Capital

2004 IMBA Advocacy Summit Heading to Maryland/Washington, D.C., June 4-8

Contact Jenn Dice
IMBA government affairs director
303-545-9011
[email protected]

(Janaury 26, 2004) - Mountain biking advocacy leaders, top federal land managers and key representatives of other trail and conservation groups from around the world will gather June 4-8 at McDaniel College in Westminster, Maryland, for the 2004 IMBA Mountain Bike Advocacy Summit.

Attendees will spend one day on Capitol Hill, meeting with their U.S. representatives, senators and staff to introduce them to IMBA and present our federal and state access issues. Cyclists will also advocate for the recreation and trails budgets of the federal public land management agencies for increased funding for the popular Recreational Trails Program that funds shared-use trail projects in all 50 states.

By assembling a dynamic group of trail leaders for four days of workshops, panel discussions and brainstorming, IMBA hopes to inspire advocacy that will produce better mountain biking opportunities worldwide. McDaniel College's idyllic campus in rural, western Maryland will provide an inspirational setting for learning, networking and mountain biking.

"The last IMBA advocacy summit was in Moab in 2002. Everyone left with new energy, new ideas and a stronger commitment to work for the future of our sport," said IMBA executive director Tim Blumenthal. "IMBA's network is more talented and motivated than ever and this summit will take us to the next level. We've got unprecedented momentum and many issues and opportunities with the U.S. Congress."

Westminster, Maryland is 30 miles northwest of Baltimore and 60 miles north of Washington, D.C.

McDaniel College is nestled between the Chesapeake Bay and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Summit participants will have the opportunity to ride great trails in surrounding rural Maryland.

"The theme for the conference is the importance of being involved in local, state and federal trail access decision making," said Blumenthal. "By incorporating a day on Capitol Hill where cyclists can meet with members of Congress and their staff, we hope to emphasize the value of being politically aware and at the table when decisions are made about trails and recreation."

Save the date and register at http://www.imba.com. The event is open to the public but limited to the first 450 registrants.

IMBA's work is led by a professional staff, volunteer board of directors and designated volunteer representatives from each U.S. state and many other countries. IMBA's backbone remains its individual membership of 32,000 and network of more than 450 off-road cycling clubs. More than 80,000 individuals are active members of IMBA's community.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>MY OPINION: Well, at least they're lobbying for SHARED trails. I wonder how much friction there is between these guys and the Blue Ribbon types? I bet they get as annoyed at ATV's as hunters do, but for different reasons. I wonder if they can work together? Fascinating.

Here in PA they finally had to ban mountain bikes and horses from some of the state game lands due to trail erosion. Should have heard the crying and carrying on. Sure made me happy. I've been annoyed several times by mountain bikers going through making all kinds of noise during archery season.
tongue.gif

Back