Yeti GOBOX Collection

Moose Hunt 19

BearFoot

This year we planed to hunt the last two weeks of season. I like the cooler weather, fewer bugs, and better moose calling opportunity. On the ride in, we passed several hunting groups heading out. The first had what appeared to be a 2 x 3 bull less than 50". Sub-legal. 2 x 3 refers to brow tines. They pulled out of sight and came to get their truck and tailor, which was parked next to us. He said his bull was a 3 x 4. My eyes are still pretty good , and that did not add up. I shared this with a wild life trooper later. The ride in on a beautiful day, and other successful hunters coming out.
ride 1.JPGride 2.JPGride 3.JPG

Successful hunter groups and families. These folks did great! We are stoked, and heading in!

Moose were few , but black bears were in abundance. I really wanted to chase those bears, but there was no way I could keep the meat for the duration of our hunt. Moose is the mission.

The black bears were feasting on blueberries, high up, in sheep country.
While preparing for a moose scoping hike, I spot a black bear close to camp, on a slope. We got to within 300 yards and he slipped out of sight. We climbed, stalked, slowly moved closer. The terrain was alders and meadows. It was a great workout, arriving here. Now siting silently, no bear was to be found. We sat silent a long time. After returning to camp, the bear was still up there, within 100 yards of our stalk.

The black bears were very tempting. I had no way of caring for meat or hides in our time frame. If a moose should go down, a bear would follow. The moose were not present.

This year was a yellow jacket summer. Little buggers everywhere! After eating that sandwich, did camp chores and popped open a beer. The afternoon was hot and we roasted in front of the tent. I had a last sip in the can, grabbed it off the log end table and tossed my head back. Little something was wiggling in my lips.
I KNEW!
As I spit, blowing beer from mouth and nose, he stung me. Top lip. Took about three hours to really puff up. Three days to go down.

sting.jpg

Spotted a few bulls. Nothing legal or close
Caribou
Porky
2_bulls.pngIMG_2044 (2).JPGIMG_2037 (2).JPGporky.jpg

One evening, I worked along a alder choked hillside scraping and bull grunting. It was thick and I had chambered a round in case of close encounter. I came to a ravine that provided a fair view. Dropped pack, rifle, and began scraping about 30 feet away. Returning to my pack, put on a puffy to ward off the evening chill. Standing and listening. I heard movement in the brush and a grizzly appeared just beyond my scrape. He stood sideways, looked my way and started walking toward me. Stalking toward me. Big brown head. I rotated picked up the rifle, full attention on safety off and bringing the rifle down center on approaching brown fur ball. He had a change of mind and started a turn away. I shot once mid section behind shoulder and he was gone. Moving up to the ravine, for a follow up, I saw alders thrashing across the way, sticks snapping. Now my heart began to pound. Noticed the rifle scope caps still in place. I did want another rug for the cabin. Never imagined it could happen like this. I'd look for him in the morning. This bear came to a moose scrape.
Early morning found a double fork bull high up on a hillside moving along. I joke about not shooting a fork in the first five days of a hunt. First legal bull in a week! Spent the next few hours chasing after him and he gave me the slip. Moved on to new lands.
Searching the alders proved difficult. We spent the afternoon looking for the bear, and could find no sign. I feel sure I got a piece of him. He was too close.

View attachment country 1.JPG

Within days fall colors left for everything brown. Moose where scarce and we went on some long mile hikes. This guy showed up to a call. 2 x 2 barely 40". He comes in and starts to dig a wallow. Pawing ground, peeing, pawing, peeing. We once watched a moose do this 17 times, pawing and peeing, then laying down to wallow and bath in his moose cologne. The moose gals can't resist.
moose call 6.jpg
moose call 5.jpg
moose call 4.jpg

Another nice bull. 3 x 3 but we can't make 50"

3 x 3.jpg
I know guys that would shoot this moose. Not 50"

8 moose.jpg

This guy, not legal, has seven ladies, a mile and a half up hill from us. Got to be some other boys up there! We marched up to find out. It can be hard to sneak up on moose, especially eight of them. We approached like a challenging bull. He was concerned, but would not leave the gals. Some of them came to check us out. There was a wall of alders no one cared to cross. One lucky moose, several reasons.

last 2 (2).jpg
last 1.jpg

We did not connect with a legal bull this year but, like every hunt great adventure and fun!

Always enjoy your posts and pictures. Nice effort even without a legal moose! We were up there a week ago for a visit and only saw one during the 5 days. Was kind of strange, but it sure seemed easier driving down the road without having to hit the brakes for moose!

It's late, go to bed!

Back