Montana unit 680

fish_hunt_ski

Hey all,
So a buddy of mine drew a units 680 ram tag.
we’ve been trying to gather intel and do some e scouting and we’re headed out to do some boots on the ground in a couple weeks.
still I have a question for anyone who has hunted sheep there in the past.
can you get a prop boat in there. I have some friends who have fished down that way in props and been ok but just trying to get any intel on the area. I have a lot of river experience and have my own prop I could use if possible but it’s hard to say.
also if anyone has any general breaks tips they would be willing to share, we would really appreciate it.

How big is the boat? A little tiller is one thing but there's not a chance in hell id run that river in the fall in a bigger prop boat. The river is very useful rip for access but it can be a nightmare to. Lots of good areas where you don't even need a boat good luck....
Thanks man it’s a 17 footer that draws about 3 feet of water with the motor full down.
thanks for the help, we’ve heard a lot of people tell us we can’t do it without a boat so it’s nice to hear someone say it’s doable!

Thanks man it’s a 17 footer that draws about 3 feet of water with the motor full down.
thanks for the help, we’ve heard a lot of people tell us we can’t do it without a boat so it’s nice to hear someone say it’s doable!
I wouldn't try it with that big of a boat, a little jon boat with a prop maybe. Probably be places you would have to get out and pull the boat through shallows. You could always float the river down in a boat or canoe, it's a looonnnggg float though. Off topic but I wish they would close the river to motorized traffic, cut down on the road hunters on the river.
I've only hunted 680 a little but in general the sheep are in the nasty rugged stuff, which in general is closer to the river. Since bullwhacker road got closed there doesn't seem to be a lot of access that gets you real close to the river. But I haven't hunted the unit enough to know the ins and outs real well, so take my advice for what it is worth.
Timing wise, if i had the tag i would hunt the lull after the elk rut to the opener of rifle, like the first two weeks of october.

Not sure what kind of hunt he's looking for but the river is good about 3 days during the opener after that they'll be back up the cuts hiding they're not dumb my advice unless you guys find a ram that's not a question and take him early then great after that enjoy it. My buddy passed a ram with his bow on day 2 i told him he was absolutely nuts. A hunter killed him 3 days later and he was 187 flaired out......a dream ram. He killed a solid 175 ram they estimated was 14 which is unheard of up there. There's some that will let you on but not many as they get a lot of money for sheep these days. After that early hunt don't beat yourself up if you don't get one the rut is something spectacular to watch. If you get into trouble late in the season pm me. Enjoy the tag most won't ever get a chance to. Good luck

Not sure what kind of hunt he's looking for but the river is good about 3 days during the opener after that they'll be back up the cuts hiding they're not dumb my advice unless you guys find a ram that's not a question and take him early then great after that enjoy it. My buddy passed a ram with his bow on day 2 i told him he was absolutely nuts. A hunter killed him 3 days later and he was 187 flaired out......a dream ram. He killed a solid 175 ram they estimated was 14 which is unheard of up there. There's some that will let you on but not many as they get a lot of money for sheep these days. After that early hunt don't beat yourself up if you don't get one the rut is something spectacular to watch. If you get into trouble late in the season pm me. Enjoy the tag most won't ever get a chance to. Good luck
This is also refreshing info. The tag holder had someone say he basically couldn’t kill one unless he went in the rut. We’re going for a the last couple days of bow, and then hunting the first two weeks of rifle with the contingency plan of a week in the rut. He’s a non resident and I’m in SW MT. We’ve got a Couple other friends coming too. Three of us used to guide elk hunts together so we’ve got some legs. Just a matter of finding a good ram!

This is also refreshing info. The tag holder had someone say he basically couldn’t kill one unless he went in the rut. We’re going for a the last couple days of bow, and then hunting the first two weeks of rifle with the contingency plan of a week in the rut. He’s a non resident and I’m in SW MT. We’ve got a Couple other friends coming too. Three of us used to guide elk hunts together so we’ve got some legs. Just a matter of finding a good ram!
If he's a non resident then don't share my Intel, he can pound sand 😉😁

I was in that area in 2017, we had a jet boat the areas we traveled I wouldn’t take a prop. Great tag some beautiful country as well as rams.

Lot of shallow spots, dragging will suck. Don't take a prop. I floated, one of my favorite hunts. Lots of sheep. Biologist will give you spots, just pick the hardest spot to get to off the river and you'll find rams. Good luck!

Hey all thanks for the intel!! After talking with BLM today I’m scratching my boat out of the mix. We’re going to be out scouting which roads we can use soon. Since we’re hunting early we’re not too worried about being right on the river but it might have made things a little more simple logistically. Thanks again for the intel!! I’ll update the post as our season goes on.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back