PEAX Equipment

Montana Tags

Kiwi

I'm dreaming of a DIY public land hunt in MT 2021 and applying for the NR elk & deer combo (I'll have two points) and then hunting either the bow or rifle seasons for 2 - 3 weeks.

From my reading of the MT Fish and Game regulations I should draw my NR combo and if I hunted the archery season, I could also draw a pronghorn archery tag as well as a bear tag. The idea of having a deer, elk, pronghorn and bear tags in my pocket seems like a start of an exciting couple of weeks! To make the most of this hunt with 4 tags I would have to find an area where I could realistically find the 4 species within a few hours drive so I could spend time hunting rather than racing around the state. Ideally I could hunt the same unit for these 4 species.

Is this realistic?

PS As always if you need info on New Zealand hunting, just ask.

It’s absolutely realistic if you have enough time, and it sounds like a great adventure. A bear tag is over the counter. It would be tough to tag out on those 4 species in three weeks, but you could have a great time. You can find good hunting for those different species within a few hours drive of each other.

I can think of a lot worse ways to spend 3 weeks in September than a week of antelope hunting, a week of bear hunting, and a week of elk hunting.

Thanks MTLabrador. I like the idea of splitting up the time into those weekly blocks. BTW I will probably bring my rifle for bear.

Me and the wife are planning on Montana for 2021 as well. I'm thinking of doing a spring bear hunt to learn an area, but haven't set a trip in stone yet. We should have the points to draw the combo deer/elk tag and do an archery hunt in September. I haven't really started diving into the units yet, but I'm hoping to narrow down one that would be good for both a spring bear and September elk hunt.

Kiwi, I’d recommend trying to hook up with another Hunt Talker and elk hunting in some grizzly country. Your chance of finding good elk hunting in a griz free area is slim. They get quite overcrowded. I also think four species is a little overly optimistic. Would recommend 2 or 3 then grab a bear tag OTC if you are seeing some.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Montana safari. I have never hunted there myself, but I like the idea of having multiple tags. You may not get to one of them, but better to have them and not use them than to not have them and wish you did! Good luck.

Kiwi, I’d recommend trying to hook up with another Hunt Talker and elk hunting in some grizzly country. Your chance of finding good elk hunting in a griz free area is slim. They get quite overcrowded. I also think four species is a little overly optimistic. Would recommend 2 or 3 then grab a bear tag OTC if you are seeing some.
Thanks Zim. I'm ok to hunt grizzly country and have done this solo in the north-west of WY.

Thanks for the comments. To clarify I don't expect to be successful on 4 species (one would be great!), but just like the idea of having the tags available while exploring the great state of MT.

Unless I'm missing something in your original post, it's absolutely realistic to hunt those four species in the same unit in September.

If you limit yourself to general elk and mule deer, the list dwindles a little, but still a bunch of options.
Thanks Randy. I'm thinking Sept but travel restrictions may mean Nov is more likely. Will have to wait and see. I do like the idea of whitetail archery spot and stalk.

More feasible as an archery hunt.
Yes, you realistically could have all those tags in your pocket for your hunt. If you hunted elk in WY you know the commitment it takes to get after them. Guessing you would have to decide which animal is at the top of your list and if you are willing to kill a bear or deer incidental to your elk hunt if that is number one. A few hour drive to another GMU is not that big a problem if moving from one animal to another. I don’t think 3 weeks to do it is unreasonable either.

It’s realistic to find all 4 of those animals in one general area. In my experience your chances at a bear decrease quite a bit waiting till November. If you can make it in September elk will be bugling, bears will still be looking for food, antelope will not have been chased with rifles yet. Sounds like fun. Good luck

I'm dreaming of a DIY public land hunt in MT 2021 and applying for the NR elk & deer combo (I'll have two points) and then hunting either the bow or rifle seasons for 2 - 3 weeks.

From my reading of the MT Fish and Game regulations I should draw my NR combo and if I hunted the archery season, I could also draw a pronghorn archery tag as well as a bear tag. The idea of having a deer, elk, pronghorn and bear tags in my pocket seems like a start of an exciting couple of weeks! To make the most of this hunt with 4 tags I would have to find an area where I could realistically find the 4 species within a few hours drive so I could spend time hunting rather than racing around the state. Ideally I could hunt the same unit for these 4 species.

Is this realistic?

PS As always if you need info on New Zealand hunting, just ask.
New Zealand, have any incite on a first timer wanting a nice red stag?

New Zealand, have any incite on a first timer wanting a nice red stag?
There are many things to plan but the good news is there are no tags or restrictions on where and when you can hunt. We have lots of public land and finding a stag is pretty easy but finding mature stags is difficult. A hunt swap is a great idea. But a good place to start your research is doc.govt.nz. DOC administers a lot of our public land.

I'm following the proposed changes to the MT regulations with interest but I'm not really sure if they will benefit me or not. It does appear there will be new areas that will move to General so may be more options for me? Also looking at units to draw with my 1 elk, 1 deer and 2 pronghorn bonus points. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. PM is fine :)

Last edited:
I'm following the proposed changes to the MT regulations with interest but I'm not really sure if they will benefit me or not. It does appear there will be new areas that will move to General so may be more options for me? Also looking at units to draw with my 1 elk, 1 deer and 2 pronghorn bonus points. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. PM is fine :)
Proposed doesn’t mean it will pass , referring to the LE units proposed to go to general tag

The area of Montana I live in has all those animals in huntable numbers within an hours drive from my house. Having said that I’d recommend putting the time and effort in to the species you are really wanting to hunt hard. It sounds like it would be an adventure either way it goes though!

Did the rules change with the proposal? Of the limited entry units going to the general season hunting units that are considered over objective?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back