Montana Spring Bear

stephenk22

A fellow hunt-talker and I are embarking on our first spring bear hunt in Montana around the 3rd week of May. We will be coming from Wisconsin so spot and stalk bear hunting will be new to us. He has gone on one western pronghorn hunt and this will be my first western experience.

It's looking like we will be hunting in Region 3, most likely the Little Belt and Big Belt Mountain ranges.
Does anyone have any experience in this area? I'm mainly interested in finding out how pressured this region is. Not that it will change our hunting plans, but may change how we strategize the use of our time. With Bozeman being so close I am a little concerned there might be alot of pressure. Unfortunately I have a time crunch, so we will only be able to hunt for 4 full days which may put us at some form of a disadvantage.

Typically Spring Bear Season the the parking lot at the Bear Honey Hole is empty! Now fall Elk hunting is a different story . I would say your timing should be good but your stay is short !
My best advice for you guys look at some maps and get a few spots marked . South facing slopes will be your best spots . Try to find some gated roads they will green up fast and Bears will be eating off of them .

Best of luck to you guys !

You have never hunted near Monarch then. I think that is in Regen 4 in the little belts.
Absolutely a hunting nightmare.
BUT there is a very high concentration of bear.
If I was coming a long ways to hunt them I would concentrate around hungry horse lake or Lake Koocanusa. areas on the west side of the divide.
LOT of bears.

Well, admittedly I've never hunted around Monarch. I've spring bear hunted mostly around Anaconda and Missoula. I don't run I to people in the spring like you do in deer and elk season, not at all. It just seems there aren't too many people interested in spring bears in general.

Hungry Horse dam / lake is where Fish & Game drop of there problem Bears ! Should be a few to look over there ! That area is a true experience of Montana !
I would bet you will see a few Grizz also .
Be safe and have fun !

Reactions: LCH
I've hunted bears in the belts, what little pressure there is is relegated to the weekends. Bear density is low compared to the western part of the state. You'll be there are the right time but 4 days might be tight.

Glad to hear it and thanks for all the info! I’ll be flying in on a Monday and hunting the weekdays to avoid as much pressure as possible.

If I only had 4 days to hunt, I would go farther west, a lot more bears and country with relatively low competition.

ditto what others have said, the big belts do not have a very good density of bears. Little belts have pockets that can be good, but you've got to look around a lot.

Hunted there last year the first week in may. Still too much snow. Never ran into another bear hunter in 7 days of hunting. Worked both the big and little belts. Going back probably the week prior to you so will give you any info I have after the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back