Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Scout About

I collect the rattles and I skinned this one to experiment with tanning the skin, if I can find someone local that can make a hat band , I’d like one for one of my cowboy hats

This one came out too dry, a guy from work who does tanning told me how to do my next one, so I’m gonna buy the stuff this weekend for the next time
Tanning snake skins is easy, just watch a few YouTube on it.
You can buy the stuff guys sell on-line or at shows, but it is most likely just glycerin and alcohol.
I keep a jar of it in the garage and just freshen it up or change it out once in a while. I have a skin in there now that just needs to be stretched open (wide) and loosely rolled on a dowel to dry. You can put that skin back in the solution to soften it up again.
Start your cut at it‘s head or where that used to be, use a sharp knife or shears (that’s what I like) and be careful when you get to it’s vent. Probably where yours tore. then just peal the skin off. Again carefully at the vent. clean/scrape off any remaining meat and drop it into the solution rattle and all.
If I see them out hiking or hunting I pretty much leave them be. Their house. When they come to mine…well.
I used to just keep the rattles but what a waste when it is so easy to take the skin Too.
Oh, and make your own hat band…
I need to finish this one it landed in the jar last summer(Coiled in the shade under my trucks driver side door).
IMG_3115.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve always wanted to try snake, ever since seeing that dude eat one in Operation Dumbo Drop haha.

I beheaded a 54 inch rattle snake and decided I would try to eat it. Nothing cleans as easily quickly as a snake.

The snake was huge and had a good girth, so I figured I would avoid bones and filleted the snake. The meat was quite light in color with no offensive odor.

The “tastes like chicken” story, just isn’t true, no matter how it’s prepared it tastes like snake…

Tanning snake skins is easy, just watch a few YouTube on it.
You can buy the stuff guys sell on-line or at shows, but it is most likely just glycerin and alcohol.
I keep a jar of it in the garage and just freshen it up or change it out once in a while. I have a skin in there now that just needs to be stretched open (wide) and loosely rolled on a dowel to dry. You can put that skin back in the solution to soften it up again.
Start your cut at it‘s head or where that used to be, use a sharp knife or shears (that’s what I like) and be careful when you get to it’s vent. Probably where yours tore. then just peal the skin off. Again carefully at the vent. clean/scrape off any remaining meat and drop it into the solution rattle and all.
If I see them out hiking or hunting I pretty much leave them be. Their house. When they come to mine…well.
I used to just keep the rattles but what a waste when it is so easy to take the skin Too.
Oh, and make your own hat band…
I need to finish this one it landed in the jar last summer(Coiled in the shade under my trucks driver side door).
View attachment 278983

Thanks for the info

Back