Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Preference Points & Max #

Elite7

Guys

I could use some help on understanding the preference points. I have read the regulations and know you can't have more than 3 preference points. My questions is if I have 3 preference points after the 2022 draw and cant hunt again until 2024, is there a way for me not to lose my points? I am thinking that if i put in for a hard to get elk permit and don't get drawn that I might possibly keep my preference points since the general tag will be refunded?

Thanks for any replies. Happy hunting

Guys

I could use some help on understanding the preference points. I have read the regulations and know you can't have more than 3 preference points. My questions is if I have 3 preference points after the 2022 draw and cant hunt again until 2024, is there a way for me not to lose my points? I am thinking that if i put in for a hard to get elk permit and don't get drawn that I might possibly keep my preference points since the general tag will be refunded?

Thanks for any replies. Happy hunting
I believe your preference points for the combo licenses will go to zero if nothing changes and you can’t hunt in 2023. Applying for limited permits (or not) does not affect your preference point status.

Pref points are for the Gen tag, Bonus points are for limited entry tags. As the rules are today, if you don't apply next year, you will lose your pref points, but you can continue to keep buying bonus points.

Even if you apply next year for a hard to draw LE unit , you pp’s will be gone cuz you’ll draw the general tag / even if you elect to give it back your pp’s are gone

I emailed Montana FWP and below was an interesting response on how one can obtain 3 points in the future. My understanding going forward you wont be able to just buy a preference points for two years and then apply for the general tag the 3rd year

"In order to obtain the max 3 points now, an applicant would either need to purchase a point a year in advance and apply with an outfitter for the other two points; or purchase a point one summer, apply the following year and purchase a point, if unsuccessful in the draw with two points, they'd carry over those points and would have to apply again the following spring."

I emailed Montana FWP and below was an interesting response on how one can obtain 3 points in the future. My understanding going forward you wont be able to just buy a preference points for two years and then apply for the general tag the 3rd year

"In order to obtain the max 3 points now, an applicant would either need to purchase a point a year in advance and apply with an outfitter for the other two points; or purchase a point one summer, apply the following year and purchase a point, if unsuccessful in the draw with two points, they'd carry over those points and would have to apply again the following spring."
whats interesting ? this is a fact...

Thanks for sharing the reply from FWP. Semi new to the out of state points game and i have to say Montana's is the one i was most unsure of.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back