Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Paddlefish

Yes.
Put a pool noodle on the butt end of your pole.
Use 2 trebles.
Know how to tie them inline.
Get upstream of people.
Know when the fish are moving through.
Bring extra tackle.
Treat the fish with respect when you catch it.

I've only done it once and we couldn't keep the fish. Just snag and release with the FWP measuring/tagging the fish. It was a good time. I still have a hat from the Beer Jug in Glendive from that trip. Only place I've seen a mounted paddlefish.

Last edited:
I've only done it once and we couldn't keep the fish. Just snag and release with the FWP measuring/tagging the fish. It was a good time. I still have a hat from the Beer Jug in Glendive from that trip. Only place I've seen a mounted paddlefish.

That paddlefish mount is no more. The Beer Jug reopened last fall they suffered a fire and the whole place went up in flames.

Get a big net and let it drift along with the current Easy. :D
33140422778_24b0378d5c_b.jpg

46101872325_f5811a1395_c.jpg

I was thinking the same thing about their age too. As I also do when I murder a walnut tree....

Filleted with the red meat ( lateral line ) removed they are excellent.

It's been the hit of many a social gathering.

Yes.
Put a pool noodle on the butt end of your pole.
Use 2 trebles.
Know how to tie them inline.
Get upstream of people.
Know when the fish are moving through.
Bring extra tackle.
Treat the fish with respect when you catch it.

The pool noodle is a great idea. I was surprised how much of a bruise I ended up with on my hip the first time I went.

For taste, to me I'm reminded of catfish. It's a off white meat but seems to stay wet while cooking. I've mainly fried them up with shore lunch. I would say they aren't halibut, but they don't taste terrible.

As for fishing them, depending on if your fishing in current or not, you may need a large weight. When I fish here is south Dakota I typically use like eight ounces of lead to keep my rig close to the bottom.

Another trick I have seen, for managing landing them, get a dog catchers pole. You know the one with a loop on the end you can pull smaller, and loop their bill when they are in close to shore.
82666BD2-4CD1-4466-BEF4-497A24D963C0.jpeg

We cant use a Hook Gaff.
We do like you said but we make them with a peace of cable and a 5" peace of plastic pipe.
Make a slip loop on one end run the other through the pipe make another loop on the "Hand" end put it around your wrist.
When you slip it around the fish drop the pipe and pull you can do it with one hand and still hold your snagging pole.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back