Montana mule deer rant

Ive shared this before, but this district south of where I hunt had an aerial survey performed on mule deer in 2021 and these are the results. Just think, these results were good enough for them to proceed with mule deer buck hunting on one’s general tag.

WPT = waypoint. It’s not the hunting districts. These are the counts for the entire district.

1662986309804.png

Exactly. Not to sound arrogant and elitist, but the “average” hunter isn’t on here.
Checkout “Montanica Extreme!” “Elk Addicts” or “Hunting Arizona” on Facebook for a sampling of “average” hunters.
Confused on simple regs, unit boundaries, blaming predators, hunting from the road, doesn’t own optics, zeros the 30-06 at 100 the day before season, “if it’s brown it’s down” “can’t eat the horns”. Etc.

If something like the Elk Advisory Committee was created for mule deer, and one of the ideas was to cease rut hunting, I bet 75% of Montana hunters would be opposed.

There’s some sort of psychological feature of many human hunters today that feels ok is good enough, then bad is good enough, then abysmal is the wolves fault. I sometimes wonder if it is because we are so far from the days when Montana voluntarily ceased hunting, in some places for decades, to save it, that folks just think states of affairs manage themselves. They don’t, of course, and it’s hard to make folks realize that good things - good times - don’t come easy.

63 deer total wow. And anyone in the state with a tag can go kill one ? How is that even possible 😳. even if they assumed they counted 5% of the population that means theres 1260 deer in the unit. how many hunters ? I’m sureFWP knows the harvest statistics based on gramma Ruth’s phone call surveys

Last edited:
63 deer total wow. And anyone in the state with a tag can go kill one ? How is that even possible 😳. even if they assumed they counted 5% of the population that means theres 1260 deer in the unit. how many hunters ? I’m sureFWP knows the harvest statistics based on gramma Ruth’s phone call surveys

Ruth’s call in august after quotas have been set for doe tags and already sold out

Because FWP sold them a tag

I have some North Dakotan friends that are in MT right now to kill does.
He has remarked several times how many more deer he sees on the ND side on the border and wishes that ND would open up more hunting.
Real nice, well meaning guy, but I think it goes right past him what the reasons are for the differences in numbers.
Does he shoot dinks?

I'm stunned and confused how anyone could stand in the ND Badlands during our 16.5 day November rifle season, after they waited 7 yrs for a tag and think to themselves, "you know what we need, more hunters out here." That is an absurd thought to have rattling around in your head.

Does he shoot dinks?

I'm stunned and confused how anyone could stand in the ND Badlands during our 16.5 day November rifle season, after they waited 7 yrs for a tag and think to themselves, "you know what we need, more hunters out here." That is an absurd thought to have rattling around in your head.

I don’t think he’s big on passing up many critters.

I don’t think he’s big on passing up many critters.
I wonder if I didn’t meet your North Dakota friend with his crew. Complained a lot about how North Dakota limits tags and he’s just happy to come out here and shoot something. They had a trailer load of does. The does will come tougher this year. The North Dakotans have removed a lot of does from the public land in that spot over the last 5 years.

one of the ideas was to cease rut hunting,
A couple of the districts in Western Montana went from unlimited permit to general but ending earlier to try to eliminate hunting during the rut for mule deer. Plenty of people were not happy about the season ending earlier. I got the feeling that the biologist didn't think it would accomplish much....but the deer aren't counted here from what I was told so who knows what the results will be.

I blew right on through Broadus, Did stop at Alzada though, Can report, no hot does in Alzada, but I did see a cold EHD whitetail laying in the Little Mo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back