Montana HD 411 Bull Tag

First Rock 503rd

Hello everyone,
I have read some of the negativity about 411 and the N Bar Ranch, but most of them were dated 8-10 years ago. My wife and I both drew bull tags for 411 which includes 511 and 530. Is there opportunities on the FS land or BLM to find elk? We do have access to hunt a ranch which we do so for deer, but never really see many elk their. What may be some good options for public land? We live a few hours away, so scouting trips are an option and will be going this week. Any recent experiences from the last couple of years would truly be appreciated. Thanks in advance and best of luck this fall to everyone out there!

I had the 411-20 tag last year and ended up not harvesting a bull; I passed on a couple smaller ones on public land early in rifle season b/c I see the big bulls on the Nbar all spring and summer; however, there was a member on here that shot a really nice bull on public land late in rifle season - so alot depends on being in the right place at the right time (doesn't it always?) b/c they move through various public land daily to get to the Nbar or other ranches - but you have to be on the right piece public land on the right day at sunrise. I didn't hunt at all on FS land.

I had that tag in 2018, always heard people seeing big bulls in the Forest Service but after archery season I never went back in there.
I ended up shooting my bull (340") out in the sage flats and he was with 6 other smaller bulls. The public/private boundary game did come into
play and I had to go back several times to catch them in the right spot to hunt them. Definitely a right place right time hunt around the Nbar, but on a lighter note, if your bull jumps the fence
after the shot...go to the ranch and talk to them, if you can show proof (i.e. blood on public) you did it right they will let you get your elk. We had an archery incident last season
and spent 3 hours with the security man for the ranch searching their land for a buddies bull.

I had that tag in 2018, always heard people seeing big bulls in the Forest Service but after archery season I never went back in there.
I ended up shooting my bull (340") out in the sage flats and he was with 6 other smaller bulls. The public/private boundary game did come into
play and I had to go back several times to catch them in the right spot to hunt them. Definitely a right place right time hunt around the Nbar, but on a lighter note, if your bull jumps the fence
after the shot...go to the ranch and talk to them, if you can show proof (i.e. blood on public) you did it right they will let you get your elk. We had an archery incident last season
and spent 3 hours with the security man for the ranch searching their land for a buddies bull.
I had the permit in 17 & 18. There are definitely some big bulls on Forest Service in the summer but they vanish once archery starts. My 18 bull was exactly like yours, sage country and with 6 other bulls. Definitely have to have some luck on your side to fill that tag on public land.

I had the permit in 17 & 18. There are definitely some big bulls on Forest Service in the summer but they vanish once archery starts. My 18 bull was exactly like yours, sage country and with 6 other bulls. Definitely have to have some luck on your side to fill that tag on public land.
Obviously it didn't take you as many points as it took me, I had 11 when I finally drew...Guess I didn't have the "Luck of the draw" on my side lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back