Montana Elk Helicopter access

That’s were
Hated to see you guys run into the other hunters who ran you off but good to see I'm not the only one it happens to. Last season I ran into a guy who didn't want me hunting "in his area". He also ran off another guy. He ran off the wrong guy as the other guy he ran off was a ranch hand at the ranch that allows access. He won't be hunting there again. Oh and yes, I got a cow that day and he got nothing! :)
people need to bite their tongue because you don’t know what kind of problem you could cause yourself.

Another reason for landlocked private ground is due to the railroad lands that were given away in the 19th century to get an incentive for railroads to cross the continent. There were large parcels of land given to the railroads in a “checkerboard” fashion on either side of the railroads as they laid track across America.

Subsequent years saw a mixture of consolidation and land swaps with private property and Forest service lands that changed the landscape into what we have in areas of the west.

There continues to be the conflict of “motorized” use and helicopters may not upset some of the non motorized advocates as much as 4 wheelers. It’s hard to keep everyone happy...

Another reason for landlocked private ground is due to the railroad lands that were given away in the 19th century to get an incentive for railroads to cross the continent. There were large parcels of land given to the railroads in a “checkerboard” fashion on either side of the railroads as they laid track across America.

Subsequent years saw a mixture of consolidation and land swaps with private property and Forest service lands that changed the landscape into what we have in areas of the west.

There continues to be the conflict of “motorized” use and helicopters may not upset some of the non motorized advocates as much as 4 wheelers. It’s hard to keep everyone happy...
You’re correct about the land swaps. Most are still accessible to the public and I hope they stay open.

Sorry, meant 530.
If you are talking rifle hunting.....530 is part of the 411-20 tag. With the 411-20 tag you can hunt 411, 511, and 530 for bulls during the rifle season. It’s impossible to kill an elk in these units without either a chopper or access to private from what I’m told. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder how many hunters have now tried that for access or do you think it's still a low percentage of people?
Probably more than the place where @Stubaby was Selling his super secret way points for a float hunt that Ryan Cahlahan put out there for the world to see.

I could be wrong though......

Probably more than the place where @Stubaby was Selling his super secret way points for a float hunt that Ryan Cahlahan put out there for the world to see.

I could be wrong though......
I wonder how many hunters have now tried that for access or do you think it's still a low percentage of people?

Or you could be the guy that flew into the super secret float spot, only to find it wasn't all that secret and there was a much cheaper way to get there.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back