PEAX Equipment

Montana deer

174in

Hey guys how has it been going, I haven't been on here in awhile been busy with life. I bought a surplus deer tag in montana this year and am looking to tag a mule deer in the beginning of November. I did not make it out west to wyoming last year due to being busy with the new house and such. Anyhow I have never hunted deer in montana and though I would ask you guy weather I should concentrate my hunt out of region 6 or region 7. I am looking to see animal numbers vs trophy quality if that helps. I am planning on hunting public ground and some bma land. Do you guys that have hunted in montana in the past have any luck bird hunting without a dog?
Thanks in advance pm me if you would like.

Look at maps, find public ground, go walk it on foot. You will find deer. And birds more than likely

I saw quite a few deer in Region 7 last year as well as birds (sharpies and pheasants). I think you'll have a good hunting most anywhere in SE Montana.

Great thanks! I alway had good luck antelope hunting in wyoming getting away from the roads. Just never saw a whole lot of deer there on the east side of the state, I am hoping deer are more abondent in eastern montana. Never did much bird hunting but I figure if I fill my deer tag before 7 days of Miley hunting I would give it a try since I have the chance while I am there. I use to hunt about every day around home here but now with 2 young kids and work I decided it is best if I just spend a week out west to get my hunting in for the year.

Thanks guys does anyone tent camp there in nov?

174in, I hunt in SE MT every year in Nov. and have yet to see a tent camp. I have seen a few RV camps on some private land though. I've hunted there when it's been mild and in the 60's and I've hunted there when it's been in the single digits with wind chill and tons of snow on the ground, so tent camping could be a big gamble.

Also, I'll PM you with some suggestions.

Grew up in the center of Region 7 and now live in the middle of Region 6, between the two I would say you would have much better luck in region 7. As for bird hunting I grew up hunting birds my whole life without dogs and did well, never had a day where we limited out on every bird but a good day consisted of us getting about 2-3 pheasants and 4-5 grouse

Deer numbers are on the upswing in region 7 but still has a way to go to get back to long term average. I would say that the recovery is progressing better on private land then public. Look for large numbers close to irrigated hay fields this year as the hills are starting to dry up fast.
The bird numbers are looking great. I can not remember a year when I saw more pheasants.

Gosh that is great news on the birds Antlerradar love chasing those ringnecks after a deer tag is filled tasty critters and a blast to shoot.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back