Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Archery Elk

kad1429

Hi my name is Kyle I was born and raised in Billings MT. I only bow hunt and have been for the last 6 years. I mainly hunt antelope, muleys, and whitetails with decent success. I've been going to Colorado to hunt elk DIY with my uncle from Texas the last 5 years and have connected with decent bulls the last 4. But I've never had a tag. Just calling and packing and helping him but he is hard to get along with and his new wife is his new hunting buddy so I'm out witch is even better for me. But anyways I've never hunted elk myself here in Montana and not looking for somebody's honey hole but just some general help. I've called a lot of biologist and wardens and studied harvest stats and pored over google earth for literally weeks. But I think I've decided to look hard into the Big Belts north of Canyon Fairy. What you think.

Pick some spots and start burning up some boot leather. That's how I found my best spots! Come to think about it, that's the only way I found my spots. Explore! Good luck.

The big belts are good, but get a lot of pressure. Like shoots said, find a mountain with some trees and start hiking! If you hike long enough, you're going to find some elk.

Sounds like you've already done some good research and probably just need to spend some time in the mountains to find some spots. If you are in Montana and 1-2 miles from the nearest road, chances are good that you'll be in elk.

Thanks a bunch guys will the elk be in the same general from August threw September without much pressure and will they be up high in the big belts away from roads rather than down lower part close to private?

They will be every where. The amount of pressure there is more than it should be. You're best bet it to hunt as far away from any roads in the belts as possible. Plan on taking your free weekends to scout the area and find places you can get away from the crowds. Hunt in the middle of the week and rest on the weekends cause there are a lot of weekend warriors that hit the belts during both archery write season. Best of luck to you.

im planning backpacking camp in about 3 miles from the nearest road and will have 11 days to hunt strait and camp will be the closest place to a road and been working out hard every day and eating right and shooting every day

Sounds like your right on track !
Best advice general tag or special draw tag ..get away from everybody ...hike your tail off .
find your camp spot early and get it ready . Im sure with all the hard work and your good attitude you will be posting some great pictures !!!! Best of luck to you !!!
All my Elk I have taken in the past were not easy at all.

MT.PERCHMAN

You still live in Billings? That is where I am from. Send me a PM if you would like. I do not know much about the Belts aside from lots of pressure but can be lots of animals if you get off the road even just a little ways.

Yeah, those are the Bridgers. The north Bridgers (N of Flathead Pass) can be good, but south of that and a lot of the elk bunch up on private land pretty quickly! Either of those spots should produce some elk if you are going to be in there for 11 days and willing to hike.

Do the bridgers get much pressure I was kinda looking over by horse thief mountin of hatfield north of flathead pass

The Belts near Canyon Ferry, now to the North Bridgers. 'Sounds like a fishing expedition.
That said, those areas are both elk habitat, so get some good maps, lace up your hiking boots and check them out. It's just past ides of March so you have plenty of time.

im sorry guys i am planning on spending all my days off this summer scouting in the mountains and work out every day for elk season and im sorry if im bothering anybody i just moved back home to Montana not long ago and was just looking for some friendly advice

im sorry guys i am planning on spending all my days off this summer scouting in the mountains and work out every day for elk season and im sorry if im bothering anybody i just moved back home to Montana not long ago and was just looking for some friendly advice

Best of luck to you.. make sure and share your findings/success!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back