Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mixed bag of ducks

Ive been a water Fowler for 30 plus years and have only one pintail harvested, (not a real good flyway in my part of Michigan for pintails) and it was a juvenile, actually thought it was a gadwall until we fanned the tail feathers back and saw the small sprig. Thanks for the pics and sharing your hunt

Nice. I need to find someone that cooks them well and get a recipe. I never have cared for duck so far but love to hunt them.
Strips the size of your thumb and fry in peanut oil for two minutes tops, sprinkle with sea salt and crushed pepper, they should be rare to medium rare and as good as venison tenderloin, smaller cubes of wood duck it’s 60 sec in the hot oil or it comes out tough and tastes like liver.

Not much of a variety today, back at the "pintail spot". Shot the pintail real quick, one flew over me after only paddling 100 yards from the launch site. Paddled around for another 30 minutes jumping a bunch more pintails and teal, but I was holding out for mallards and only saw a couple, no shots. Decided to set up and shoot teal or whatever to make it a shorter trip. Got the 5th teal in about 45 minutes, and just as I picked it up 2 mallards flew right over me, so it goes! Not complaining much because my wife likes teal. Not sure I'll go back to this spot in the remaining days of the season, will try the "mallard spot" next.

20200120_085201.jpg

Back