Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Minnesota Bear

Dead Head

Well after two years of waiting for a tag I was lucky enough to draw a tag in unit 24. I drove up on Labor Day and met my buddy that had been baiting for me. We checked everything out on Saturday and made sure everything was set up to roll on Sunday. Sunday rolls around and the weather had turned for the worst possible situation. The week prior to opener it had gotten extreme hot and a few thunderstorms came in and messed everything up and pretty much shut every active bear off. We sat all day Sunday with nothing but a few skunks running around so I packed up camp and headed back home since the weather was not cooperating and looked ugly for another week. September 7 & 8 my buddy starts getting bear activity again with multi bears hitting bait constantly every day twice a day. I was stuck at work until Wednesday, Thursday I had plans to shoot back up there and get in the stand by 5 hoping to catch a bear late in the day looking for a snack. 6:30 rolls around and nothing but a few squirrels and a few chipmunks running around the bait pile playing tag. 7:30 rolls on in with the wind dying completely off and a few birds were flying in around us to set up camp for the night. At 7:35 something didn't seem right and I could hear a noise that I haven't heard before. The bear had completely snuck into the bait leaving me surprised. I stood up slowly and in the same motion tried to pull my bow back. At that time he busted me in the middle of the draw but I thought I might as well keep going. Thankfully he was dead set on eating and not really worried what I was. Finally he turned broadside giving me a perfect shot. I let the arrow fly and smoked him. I heard him crashing through the trees and knew after the death sounds I had my first bear on the ground. It's not the biggest bear but I'm dang happy with him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
way to go don't worry about size just get the first one down, I still have one hitting but he's not real big hopefully I can get my neighbos grandson on that one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back