Mid-day water hole setup: Colorado

cbellosu

Another water hole question, and I did use the search option....

As everyone knows most of the west is dry, including my area. However, I have identified a few secluded water holes in the timber that I plan to sit the majority of the day during early season. I have read that the water holes get more attention in the evenings, which my approach/plan is great for a downhill thermal setup. Any recommendations when planning to sit water during uphill thermals (mid-day) and having elk approach from above? I was thinking of setting up upwind of the main water hole trail, but also would love to hear further advice and suggestions.

Thanks everyone in advance! Only 10 days until archery elk :)

set up cameras if you have not already see which way they are coming from and that can change your approach. Have killed four elk the last four years (3 cows 1 bull) sitting water setting up the blind based on where they are coming from on a camera and also knowing approximate times that they show up.

Thanks Seth, I currently have a couple of cameras out to determine their approaches. Trying to determine my general mid-day setups for the other water holes or random ones that I may come across. I was planning to construct some rough/natural blinds around the areas, do you think this is sufficient if I don't have a blind? Thanks again!

So long as your profile is broken up you should be okay. If you're looking for a little more cover to help hide your draw, you can get a 10-12' section of camo burlap for less than $20.

Very dry year for Colorado.. should do well around a good sized water hole in an area that doesn't have a lot of creeks and steams. Best of luck!!

I’m hunting Labor Day weekend and have mapped a high country water hole in an area that holds elk. My question is, do bulls (in the early season) need to water every day? For context, I’ll be hunting southern Colorado.

I’m hunting Labor Day weekend and have mapped a high country water hole in an area that holds elk. My question is, do bulls (in the early season) need to water every day? For context, I’ll be hunting southern Colorado.
They don't have to but if they're not bothered, they typically do. Remember, the rut is starting so find the cows. Also, how many other water holes are in the area?

They don't have to but if they're not bothered, they typically do. Remember, the rut is starting so find the cows. Also, how many other water holes are in the area?
Good point on the cows. I think this area Should hold cows during because it has the past 2 1st Rifle Seasons. That being said, I guess I won’t know for sure until I get there.
Most of the water is low in this area. Im not aware of other water holes up high. There has to be but I have not found them yet

Only thing I will add is that quite often the thermals don't switch until almost dark (depending on how north-facing the slope is and weather, etc.). So, if you're waiting for the evening thermal switch to go into your spot, you might not have much or any time at your spot before dark.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back