Meopta/Cabela’s spotter

BRP

Hey y’all just here to add another thread about spotterS. I’ve been reading most of them on HT but I didn’t want to hack someone else’s post with my specific situation.

I have never owned a spotter because I do great with binos but I have hiked a lot because I can’t tell what class of animal (specifically antelope/deer hunts) I’m looking at. I’m going to use this spotter to decide whether or not to hike a mile to get a closer look or not. I will only pack it around on shorter hunts. For Elk season I’m still more of an “any legal elk” guy so after I spot something with the binos it’s good enough for me!

I have read a lot and it seems that the Cabela’s instinct euro HD 20-70x82 is a top notch spotter. As I understand, it is a Meopta meostar s2 in Cabela’s clothes. I can buy it new for about 1900, is that a no brainer price or would I be better off going for used glass of similar quality? The used market seems to move fast and without much knowledge I’m not always sure when to quickly pull the trigger.

I guess I’m looking for the reassurance that it is a good buy and not a poor decision. I’m open to optics of similar quality for less $$ and more packability but I have no access to Kowa’s to look through. Not much experience with high end optics so Thanks for any help or advice!

I bought that spotter last year for that price on sale. I am totally happy with it. Lots of guys brag on their Swaro 65s but before I bought it we put one on a tripod next to the Swaro 65 and it hands down was better. We sat them both in my house for 3 days and looked at a herd of elk about 3 miles away. Side by side morning and evening the Cabelas scope was considerably better than the small Swaro. I never compared it to a big Swaro so can't say. The only down side is if you don't have high end binoculars, you will swear your binos are dirty every time you look through them. I haven't regretted the purchase for a minute. It is heavy though.

Best spotter I’ve ever owned or looked through. If it wasn’t such a tank I’d still own it. Or if I did most of my glassing close to the pickup

Reactions: BRP
Thanks guys. The weight causes some concern but I am naive enough to not know wether I will end up wishing I had a smaller spotter or not. I like the fact this is top of the line picture and would want that if I went a different direction and smaller.

Hey y’all just here to add another thread about spotterS. I’ve been reading most of them on HT but I didn’t want to hack someone else’s post with my specific situation.

I have never owned a spotter because I do great with binos but I have hiked a lot because I can’t tell what class of animal (specifically antelope/deer hunts) I’m looking at. I’m going to use this spotter to decide whether or not to hike a mile to get a closer look or not. I will only pack it around on shorter hunts. For Elk season I’m still more of an “any legal elk” guy so after I spot something with the binos it’s good enough for me!

I have read a lot and it seems that the Cabela’s instinct euro HD 20-70x82 is a top notch spotter. As I understand, it is a Meopta meostar s2 in Cabela’s clothes. I can buy it new for about 1900, is that a no brainer price or would I be better off going for used glass of similar quality? The used market seems to move fast and without much knowledge I’m not always sure when to quickly pull the trigger.

I guess I’m looking for the reassurance that it is a good buy and not a poor decision. I’m open to optics of similar quality for less $$ and more packability but I have no access to Kowa’s to look through. Not much experience with high end optics so Thanks for any help or advice!
The Meostar S2 is in a different league than the Swaro 65.
It’s big but I’ve never left my pickup without it in my backpack.

I used the exact spotter for a few seasons and loved it. I had a non-HD Swaro 80mm and a non-HD Zeiss 65mm before that and it was noticeably better. I sold it to my FIL to fund a Swaro BTX and wish I wouldn't have. He's a sheep/coues hunter and loves it as well. The 70x top end zoom was awesome for judging Coues deer from several miles away. In my opinion, it is the best bang for your buck in a spotting scope. If they were the same price, i'd get the Nightforce or Meopta branded one though for warranty/resale.

I can’t speak to what price is a good price, but generally, if you’re not happy with a Meopta, you probably aren’t going to be happy.

Well I ended up with the Cabela’s version. I just couldn’t find a Meopta clothed in the same price range. On the bright side it came with a warranty card that says lifetime for Cabela’s optics. Of course this is not the same as the vortex “break It when you want a new one” warranty, but that’s not my style anyways. I took the spotter to the elk refuge and I’m very happy with its performance So far. Now I need a phone scope. Thanks everyone for the input.

Attachments

• 2C631E93-B891-4034-93F6-A6A81CFBE24E.jpeg
    2C631E93-B891-4034-93F6-A6A81CFBE24E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
I bought that spotter last year for that price on sale. I am totally happy with it. Lots of guys brag on their Swaro 65s but before I bought it we put one on a tripod next to the Swaro 65 and it hands down was better. We sat them both in my house for 3 days and looked at a herd of elk about 3 miles away. Side by side morning and evening the Cabelas scope was considerably better than the small Swaro. I never compared it to a big Swaro so can't say. The only down side is if you don't have high end binoculars, you will swear your binos are dirty every time you look through them. I haven't regretted the purchase for a minute. It is heavy though.

I think optics are like rifles/pistols; it's all about the guy holding it. Our hands, eye relief, etc, are all different. My Vortex scopes feel as good as high end Leupolds, but to some other guy they feel like complete trash.

Back