Meat in the freezer

Not sure where you got that. I just looked and found this.

Nonresident adult/fishing combo*$ 396.75
You can't be talking about Colorado. He said he wants to hunt Colorado because it's closer to him. He also wants to hunt for a cow. Why are you trying to talk him into something else? He sounds like he wants to be an elk hunter but start with a cow.
My clip was from the Wyoming site, because we were talking about WY doe antelope.

As a community of hunters helping hunters, is it not up to us to show him as many options that are out there and give him the choice?
And John is right that the doe antelope tags are very cheap for non-residents. I think it might even be less than $46.00.

For a cow elk, I would also reccomend looking at Colorado and Wyoming. If meat is concern #1, I'd look at a late season hunt, when elk are down on winter range. Early season cows aren't neccessarily going to be any easier to hunt than bulls; sometimes harder. The last two cow tags that have been eaten in my family both included shot opportunities on bulls.

Reactions: LCH
The majority won't agree. Look up best tasting game meat.
Most like antelope just fine.

The last two cow tags that have been eaten in my family both included shot opportunities on bulls.
I understand the increase in cost by purchasing and either sex tag but as mentioned above, I wouldn’t want to miss out on the opportunity at a bull as a way to put meat on the table as well. An either sex tag may not be an option based on preference points or financial situations but there are plenty of OTC in Colorado that provide that option.

I understand the increase in cost by purchasing and either sex tag but as mentioned above, I wouldn’t want to miss out on the opportunity at a bull as a way to put meat on the table as well. An either sex tag may not be an option based on preference points or financial situations but there are plenty of OTC in Colorado that provide that option.
Yes, but do your research, because the hunting is often significantly better in limited entry units, than it is in OTC. So, you might well have a better chance of filling the freezer with a cow only tag in the right unit, than with an OTC tag. The bottom line is that this is a game where you need to do your research if you want to maximize your chances. Wyoming makes the research really easy. Colorado's data is a little less obvious. I'd recommend talking to someone at their FWP agency to get an explanation for how to look at their data.

Appreciate all the input guys I’m definitely not opposed to trying for some Wyoming antelope. Sounds like it’s easy entry for an out of state hunter. Gonna keep on planning for the elk as well though.

Welcome to HT!

Have fun on your cow elk or doe antelope hunt. Will be worthwhile sifting through the CO P&W draw data and harvest success rates for cow elk. While the total license/tag cost is upwards to $700, there are some tags that can be drawn with 0-1 points with fairly decent success rates. Also check out the respective info on the WY G&F website. WY full price cow tags are roughly the same cost as CO, and can present a similar experience. WY also offers reduced price cow tags for $300 plus some fees and permits, but the downside is these tend to be harder hunts with lower success rates, and/or access issues. While the WY elk application deadline is closed now, you can pick up tags for some of the units during the leftover draw this summer, where draw odds for NR can actually be better than during the initial draw. Rifle doe antelope tags in some WY units present close to a sure thing if you can hit what you're aiming at, and you don't get beat by poor weather. Researching the hunts can be as fun as the trips themselves.

Also, some people complain about a rutty buck taste in WT, but I find if you get the hide off quickly and cool the meat down it tastes fine. I've never eaten antelope, but I suspect some of the bad rap the meat can get may due to improper cooling during warm weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back