Meat in the freezer

axel314

Hi Everyone

New to the forum, I have been hunting whitetail in northern Minnesota since I was of legal age, living in California now trying to learn the ins and outs of California hunting for quail, chukar, deer and pig. Lookin at planning an elk hunt. Any suggestions on the the best way to go about it? My goal for now is not a trophy, just looking for the best option for meat in the freezer. Im looking at Colorado right now since it is not too far of a drive and seems to be the most populated for Elk. Is a cow tag the way to go? Anyone have suggestions for the highest rate of success in a zone? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Pretty sure NM doesn’t give cow tags to nonresidents, but CO and WY are both solid choices

He'll be the one to decide. No matter what we say. However, he did ask about cow elk.

A good tasting cow for a sage tasting antelope?

A reduced price cow tag in Wyoming and a pocket full of doe tags to fill the freezer.
Sounds like he has never hunted elk so the doe tags might be the best option.
Good bit of change tied up in one and if you don't find elk you're eating tag soup, doe antelope are pretty much a slam dunk for meat.

View attachment 126781

Pretty cheap option and generally easier to kill than a cow elk.

Not sure where you got that. I just looked and found this.

Nonresident adult/fishing combo*$ 396.75

You can't be talking about Colorado. He said he wants to hunt Colorado because it's closer to him. He also wants to hunt for a cow. Why are you trying to talk him into something else? He sounds like he wants to be an elk hunter but start with a cow.

Many units are easy to get. Many units have leftovers too. Plus, you're allowed 4 tags. And they are only like $46.
I never knew the cost for a doe antelope tag was that inexpensive but that is mainly due to the fact I never researched it. Elk and mule deer have been my reason to travel west to hunt recently, but this info definitely peaked my interest. Sounds like a fun opportunity and a great price. Thanks for the information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back