Meat Grinder

kellerdairyhunter

So, my Dad and I are interested in buying a meat grinder probably from Cabelas. Does anybody have any recommendations for one, but one that is not really expensive.

We have 2 of Cabelas grinders. The first one was a 3/4 horse and it did good. Tended to get a little hot. So went and got a 1horse motor for the second one and it does a lot better. Either one is good. But if you have a elk or two to process or 2 of anything get the 1 horse grinder. Better to buy once than over pay twice by being cheap.

I have a 1hp LEM grinder and it grinds through everything I put through it. I got it cheap as it was the floor model. I would look into the Cabelas models and see if parts are interchangeable. Years ago when I picked up my grinder I was told that Cabelas ginder had proprietary parts.

It depends on how much meat you will be processing. I purchased a STX grinder from Amazon. I think I paid about $150 for it. You get what you pay for. The body and auger are aluminum. It is noisy. That being said, I process 4+5 deer, 12-15 goats and 3-4 pigs a year with it. It has been working for about 4 years now. When it dies, I would like to invest in a better quality unit.

Buy the biggest you possibly can the first time. There is no substitution for a grinder with a big throat and grind plate. I struggled with small grinders for years before upgrading to a 1hp cabelas and now also have the 1 3/4 HP cabelas. I also have the mixing bin attachment and the 30lb vertical stuffer. The good stuff is expensive, yes, but if you are going to hunt your whole life and process your own stuff it pays for itself in a hurry, especially when you see what it costs for a processor to make sausage, summer sausage/salami, jerky, etc..

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back