PEAX Equipment

Meat Eater Cookbook

I’ve enjoyed using the meateater cookbook book but nothing spectacular. Like it better than fumbling around with my phone when I have a mess on my hands. Y’all got me real interested in the Hank Shaw cookbooks though.

I have the meat eater cookbook and the complete guide to hunting as well which has a lot of recipes in it. Most of the recipes are very good, but not Hank Shaws quality. I also like NevadaFoodie for southwest inspired recipes. Hunt to eat puts out some good recipes as well as harvesting Nature. Personally I like to look at the same recipe from different sources and see how each chef changes it.

Agree with the above on Hank Shaw. So good that he actually has a recipe in the meateater cook book i believe. I tried his jack rabbit stew for the heck of it and it was amazing
I heard hank on a podcast kind of take a shot at meateater saying that a lot of the recipes in his book were basically his with a minor change here or there.

I'll also add one of my favorite cookbooks is the Quarantine Cookoff that the Newberg crew put together last year. There are a variety of recipes and all have simple ingredients and simple instructions. My wife printed out the free pdf and put the pages in a binder so we can have a hard copy of it. Days when we're not sure what to cook it is easy to pick something new from there.

The Meateater recipes are ok, but Hank Shaw’s stuff is just somehow a notch above. Not all of Shaw’s are complicated or involved…some are quite simple and easy. You can get a ton of his online if you don’t have the books:

I have not used Meateaters but Hank Shaws “Buck Buck Moose” is excellent.
I asked for some of Hank Shaws books for my birthday, I was given "Hunt Gather Cook"-it's kind of plain.
I would rather have had Buck Buck Moose, or Duck Duck Goose!

I have Hank Shaw's small game book. Have to get creative with some recipes. Ain't paying $25 for saffron or ordering lingonberries. I guess Wyoming grocery stores aren't on par with Californian ones.

The Meateater recipes are ok, but Hank Shaw’s stuff is just somehow a notch above. Not all of Shaw’s are complicated or involved…some are quite simple and easy. You can get a ton of his online if you don’t have the books:

Thank You!

I have Hank Shaw's small game book. Have to get creative with some recipes. Ain't paying $25 for saffron or ordering lingonberries. I guess Wyoming grocery stores aren't on par with Californian ones.
As another Middle-of-Nowhere dweller, it’s way cheaper to get saffron (and other hard to come by ingredients) on Amazon. And a little goes a long way.

I'll also add one of my favorite cookbooks is the Quarantine Cookoff that the Newberg crew put together last year. There are a variety of recipes and all have simple ingredients and simple instructions. My wife printed out the free pdf and put the pages in a binder so we can have a hard copy of it. Days when we're not sure what to cook it is easy to pick something new from there.
Where can I find the quarantine cook-off pdf? I did a search but only came up with videos.

My wife bought it for me a couple years ago. I have enjoyed trying different things out of it. The BBQ rub makes for some really good smoked chicken wings on the pellet grill.

Back