Caribou Gear

Marmot Catalyst 2p Tent

EastTNHunter

Tried searching old threads and found very little on this. Looking for a 2-3 night backpack hunting tent for a possible WY mule deer and antelope hunt next season (if my party can draw), and will stay in a hotel if the weather gets too bad. Planning on going a mile or so into public land, not super deep. Found this tent on sale for a pretty good price. Can’t afford an expensive tent, and only plan to use it a couple of times per year. Is this one decent for a fair weather lightweight tent?

Yes I have one and it is a great tent. I have used it with another hunting friend and it is very close quarters. Your gear will not fit in there with two people. It is perfect for one person and gear can stay in the vestibule. I have used it in cold snowy conditions with 0 issues. Since I have a hot tent now it stays at home and only use it during archery season and summer canoe trips. Feel free to ask me any questions or concerns you may have.

Much thanks for the quick response, and good to hear that it’s a good tent. Our plan is to each pack in our own tents, so a 2p tent should be good for me and my gear.

Terrain in the areas that we are planning to hunt is not too treacherous, and that coupled with the moderate distance makes me less concerned with having to have the absolute lightest weight gear. Other uses for it will be an occasional fair weather 2 day hike in the mountains close to home, but that will be rare and those hikes will be low impact.

Now to figure out the sleeping bag and pad, as those tend to be expensive and bulky if you’re not willing to spend a good bit of money. Any tips on acquiring good value on decent quality for occasional use items in that line would be appreciated as well.

Much thanks for the quick response, and good to hear that it’s a good tent. Our plan is to each pack in our own tents, so a 2p tent should be good for me and my gear.

Terrain in the areas that we are planning to hunt is not too treacherous, and that coupled with the moderate distance makes me less concerned with having to have the absolute lightest weight gear. Other uses for it will be an occasional fair weather 2 day hike in the mountains close to home, but that will be rare and those hikes will be low impact.

Now to figure out the sleeping bag and pad, as those tend to be expensive and bulky if you’re not willing to spend a good bit of money. Any tips on acquiring good value on decent quality for occasional use items in that line would be appreciated as well.
Nemo makes some good pads for a good price. I bought one based on the pad destruction video goHunt did. I have used it since 2017 and 0 issues. Sleeping bags ..I own several and they are different brands, fill material, and temp ratings. I use down for packing way back in when there won't be alot of moisture. I prefer synthetic for the peace of mind if it gets wet it will keep you warmer and dries out quicker. Sleeping systems are a personal choice for people because everyone sleeps different. Check out Camo Fire. They have good prices on these things.

For deals keep eye on camofire...also backcountry.com or rei outlet. rokslide classifieds has tons of used stuff and more traffic volume than here...ive gotten good deals there but of course have to watch for scammers.

Marmot, msr, big agnes, Nemo, thermarest, sea to summit seem to be good brands to look for...

Our local outdoors store usually hosts semi-annual swap meet and that can be a gold mine, maybe something similar near you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back