Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Map apps, help!

Wyohunt

I am an old school map and compass guy and I carry an ancient gps. I would like to enter the realm of mapping software and a gps upgrade without breaking the bank. Any ideas?

I really like Gaia but I got it before there was a charge for it. Not sure what it costs, your waypoints and tracks carry over to your online account if you use your phone.

Most of my maps are old and probably not very accurate. Satellite images would be cool.

World Topo Map (Android, probably on iPhone as well) — it gives you the elevation lines, and allows you to switch between
▪map view, with an overlay of the street map of GoogleMaps, and
▪satellite view.

The free version has ads.

Matthias

Most of my maps are old and probably not very accurate. Satellite images would be cool.

I've had access to high end GIS/GPS products most of my adult life, and I'd recommend OnX Hunt and Google Earth. Designed for hunting, simple to learn and use (lots of info on this site and BigFin's video's, fairly cheap, and you can use an existing smart phone (if you have one) as your GPS. GoHunt has similar options but a little more expensive, haven't used it so can't say what it's like but seems slightly more complicated than OnX from general impression.

So, do I understand this correctly?
OnX Hunt costs $30 per year, and the Elite membership $100/y?

Is there a free version, or not? 🤔

Thanks for those links, those are some very powerful map options! 👍🏼

Matthias

In the world of mobile mapping software, I view OnX much like factory ammunition. You get what you get. It works, and requires little intellectual investment.

Avenza is my version of something like hand loading. Refining a product, making it exactly what I want. Better than off the shelf.

Being new I would recommend OnX with your smartphone and see how ya like it.

Matthias
I found OnX elite on Camofire for $60.

Avenza is free, as Nameless Range said a lot of customization is possible, but a lot more of a commitment on your part to make/get what you need, so not the best for beginners. If you have some experience though Avenza is probably one of the best free options.

Also on camofire you can get a single state for $17 if I remember correctly. The $60 one gives you all 50 states.

In the world of mobile mapping software, I view OnX much like factory ammunition. You get what you get. It works, and requires little intellectual investment.

Avenza is my version of something like hand loading. Refining a product, making it exactly what I want. Better than off the shelf.

Being new I would recommend OnX with your smartphone and see how ya like it.

I use Avenza a lot as a firefighter while fighting brush fires. Most incidents use it for mapping and intel gathering. I really enjoy it and feel that it is fairly user friendly. Are you able to get the same private land information on avenza as you would OnX??

I use Avenza a lot as a firefighter while fighting brush fires. Most incidents use it for mapping and intel gathering. I really enjoy it and feel that it is fairly user friendly. Are you able to get the same private land information on avenza as you would OnX??
Yes.

There really isn’t anything meaningful in OnX that isn’t publicly available.

Nice!
I guess the main thing you would be losing then is that OnX has a desktop version and Avenza does not... as far as I know

I suppose so. Though I make maps for Avenza using GIS software on the desktop. Im aware most folks don’t know how or even if they did wouldn’t want to do that.

I guess I just always bring up
Avenza because it has been such a solid product for me and sometimes seems forgotten.

Property boundaries?

Sure you can get Fed and some state public land boundaries, but private land boundaries definitely not.
I only hunt in Montana where private property boundaries are publicly available, so I do not know about other states.

That said, if private property boundaries are in OnX for other states, I would think that they have gone through the trouble of consolidating county data that is publicly available. Maybe they pulled 10s of thousands of COS’s and digitized em, but that would be impressive. I’m not too familiar with what’s available in other states.

I only hunt in Montana where private property boundaries are publicly available, so I do not know about other states.

That said, if private property boundaries are in OnX for other states, I would think that they have gone through the trouble of consolidating county data that is publicly available. Maybe they pulled 10s of thousands of COS’s and digitized em, but that would be impressive. I’m not too familiar with what’s available in other states.
Let’s put it this way, it’s such a mess in some states that there are third party vendors that charge $5000 per county, for a shapefile, counties that don’t have any mapping systems of their own or any state system.

At this point I haven’t found a better app for the traveling hunter, but some state specific platforms are way better.

Matthias
camofire.com sells Onx elite memebership every spring for 40% off. great deal for $59.99.

Actually they have it available well after the sle sometimes, just call and ask.

Or $36 for Gaia premium with a lot more features

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201227-091544.png
    Screenshot_20201227-091544.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back