Man Appears to of Died After Bear Attack in Hope, AK

Brutal. Guy on Rokslide personally knew the guy. Sad and prayers for him and his family.

Bear country can turn dangerous on a dime and quick. You have to be bear aware at all times when you play in their domain.

It can also be mostly safe if you play bear smart as the experts repeatedly posted.

I plan on camping on the tip pf the Alaska Peninsula in early December. I'm not gonna lie, it makes me nervous. The brownies around Cold Bay don't hibernate because the weather isn't that cold and food is abundant year round.

I plan on camping on the tip pf the Alaska Peninsula in early December. I'm not gonna lie, it makes me nervous. The brownies around Cold Bay don't hibernate because the weather isn't that cold and food is abundant year round.
My recommendation is research and invest in electric fences for bears. I am thinking of that myself because I hunt in black bear country where grizzlies have been sighted and both can be dangerous if you are not prepared.

Bad deal, very good friend has a cabin very very close to that cabin. Basically a rain forest there. Very thick tree tops make it hard to see and massive devils club patches cover most the ground.

Very tragic :(

My recommendation is research and invest in electric fences for bears. I am thinking of that myself because I hunt in black bear country where grizzlies have been sighted and both can be dangerous if you are not prepared.

Per your recommendation I just bought a used one ( looks unused ) on eBay for $160. Weighs under 4 lbs. and will fit in my gun case.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just want to stress something that I am pretty sure you agree with - both can be dangerous even if you ARE prepared and have taken every precaution and means of preparation that a person can take. Electric fences don't always work, but they're a good tool to have in the tool chest...

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just want to stress something that I am pretty sure you agree with - both can be dangerous even if you ARE prepared and have taken every precaution and means of preparation that a person can take. Electric fences don't always work, but they're a good tool to have in the tool chest...
None of it is 100% and anyone who has hunted in bear country or hunted bears knows that. It is just a really good layer of protection that helps to keep you relatively safe from them. A really hungry or angry bear WILL go through an electric fence. Bear spray don't always work but tests show that it works most of the time. That is the reason I carry a 45 on my hips all the time when I am in bear country.

If you haven't been to that part of Alaska - you can be 150% aware, walking down a trail with your firearm locked and loaded - and still not see or hear a bear until it hits you.
That is true. Both mountain lion and bear sometimes are hungry enough to stalk man as prey. They move incredibly fast for as bulky and sometimes fatty as they are and even you heard them crashing through the brush it's usually too late to react when they are on top of you.

That is true. Both mountain lion and bear sometimes are hungry enough to stalk man as prey. They move incredibly fast for as bulky and sometimes fatty as they are and even you heard them crashing through the brush it's usually too late to react when they are on top of you.
I'm going to make an educated guess that it wasn't the case here. That spot is probably a quarter mile from six mile river which is flooded with pinks, silvers, and chum right now. I would be shocked if that bear was hungry.

My bet is there was a cub involved. other option was startled the bear, but they usually don't kill when startled, usually...

But yes, in that under growth, bear could be feet away and you couldn't see them. Probably could smell them if the breeze was right

Last edited:
Why? I can’t wait to get out of here by the end of September 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back