Caribou Gear Tarp

making something from a goat cape?

N_8

So my taxidermist called with the sad news that the cape from last years goat wasn't mountable. When they got it back from the tannery one ear was falling apart. Otherwise it is in good shape. I don't see any sign of hair slipping.

My question is does anybody have any ideas on some thing that could be made with out of it and the craftsman to do it. As i understand it the wool can't be extracted (how sweet would a mtn goat beany be). It is wet tanned and relatively small--shoulder cape sized. It is an October goat though. Nice long hair.

Would like to do it justice in some way i guess.

So my taxidermist called with the sad news that the cape from last years goat wasn't mountable. When they got it back from the tannery one ear was falling apart. Otherwise it is in good shape. I don't see any sign of hair slipping.

My question is does anybody have any ideas on some thing that could be made with out of it and the craftsman to do it. As i understand it the wool can't be extracted (how sweet would a mtn goat beany be). It is wet tanned and relatively small--shoulder cape sized. It is an October goat though. Nice long hair.

Would like to do it justice in some way i guess.
I'm going to take the hide from the hinds on my goat and make them into pillows for the couch. They'll always be there as a reminder of the hunt.

If you want it mounted, I would see if your taxidermist or you could come up with a replacement ear (might be tough to find one for a goat). It would be very easy to cut the bad ear off and sew a replacement ear on. Just an option you might want to explore.

Cheese Curd has a very good idea, one I am surprised your taxidermist didn’t already mention. Being a retired taxidermist of 30 years, I know there are different suppliers of all kinds of capes, hides and parts of capes for sale. Moscow Hide & Fur would be a good source to look into, google them for more information. If they do not have a ear alone, they might have a cape which could replace yours or buy a full cape (if you prefer yours) and just use the ear. There is more than one way to skin a cat, or to mount a goat minus one ear, lol !Good luck !

Last edited:
Back