Madison Valley or Paradise Valley

Montanakid

Looking to do some wolf hunting in one of these to places for my birthday next week. Does anybody have any knowledge they're willing to share about where I should go. These two places are probably going to be the closest to where I live where I feel like I have a decent chance. Anything helps guys, thanks a lot!:)

Montana Kid,
Did you go hunting yet and if so which valley did you choose. I am leaving Sunday to go to one of these two areas with two buddies and I believe I have the valley figured out that we are going to. Would just like to get some info from someone who has recently been there.

We went to the Madison. Lots of elk on the Bear Creek Wildlife Management Area but with it being closed we had to do a lot of walking to get around it. There was almost no snow and we only saw one set of wolf tracks because of this. We also went up Papoose creek but little sign of anything but mtn lion. I heard they saw 3 a couple weeks ago up Bear Creek but we did some howling with no response. My bet is they're sticking close to where all the elk are on the WMA which was a couple drainages over from us

We ended up going to Paradise Valley,went up Six Mile creek and found an elk the wolves had eaten. The tracks seem to show it was about 4 or 5 days old. That was the only tracks we saw. The terrain in Paradise valley is pretty rugged and steep. We talked to a forest ranger and he told us the native americans were down by the border of Yellowstone national park shooting the bison as they came our of the park. He said the gut piles attract the wolves to that area. These units were closed to wolf hunting due to the quota being filled.

Wolves are pretty scarce in the Mad valley. I know of 6 shot/trapped there in the last month.

Yeah the stupid quota at Gardiner kind of throws a wrench in the gear. Also I think that a lot of em are on the Dome Mountain WMA where lots of elk are wintering, but its closed as well

I hear yuh on the gardiner quota! Best places in the valley ive found are the tom miner area (lots of private with some ranches being wolf lovers and others that will let you hunt) and the trail creek pack. I will say there were 3 or 4 wolves shot out of the trail creek pack in an 8 day period off of the ohares place.

i live right by 6 mile trailhead. the elk are all around me, like on my property. have not seen or heard any wolves. look at emigrant all the time have not seen any. if anything changes i will post it.

bob

i live right by 6 mile trailhead. the elk are all around me, like on my property. have not seen or heard any wolves. look at emigrant all the time have not seen any. if anything changes i will post it.

bob

Your right. I was out in your area with my son last Saturday and there were elk running all over the place.

I am pretty sure there were some wolves around the pivot elk on DM Ranch last week. Those elk are normally pretty relaxed looking but there were several times last week that EVERY elk in those fields was looking at the same thing and they were acting nervous.

Patrick

Last edited:
were i am at if you see them running, it is because they are hazing them most times. pretty hard on the fences. i try hard not to scare them so they dont get caught up. i really hate seeing them get hung up.
bob

Your right. I was out in your area with my son last Saturday and there were elk running all over the place.

I am pretty sure there were some wolves around the pivot elk on DM Ranch last week. Those elk are normally pretty relaxed looking but there were several times last week that EVERY elk in those fields was looking at the same thing and they were acting nervous.

Patrick

I drove by dome last week and there wasnt a single elk on it.. first time all winter I saw that. Not sure if it was hazing or woofs.

I drove by dome last week and there wasnt a single elk on it.. first time all winter I saw that. Not sure if it was hazing or woofs.

Maybe they saw Debbie Barrett drive by?:eek:

that is not what said. i said if you see them running as in really running around here.....here being were i live....they are probaly being hazed. happens every year to get them off private ground.

i know the guy that does it. saw it again this morning . not a big deal. what you two guys might not know is,this is their wintering ground. they will move when they are ready. like when it starts to green up etc.

it amazes that that someone on a hunting forum would not know this. bob

Relax bob, I wasn't even talking about your post. I was referring to the post about the dome mountain wma. I know plenty about elk winter grounds, I promise. The crazy thing is I've been watching 19 bulls for about a month, they have moved as far as a mile. Do you think they were hazed?

Back