Lyman ultimate reloading kit

Vanishe187

I have been looking to get my own reloading set up. Im tired of having to call my cousin to use his equipment, my dies and other stuff live there. I was looking at the lyman ultimate kit that has the digit charge thrower tumbler and turret press. Anybody use or have it? I use a basic rcbs kit my cousin got at walmart. He has added other pieces here and there. Anyway i see it for 579 on midway but back ordered currently. Is it worth the money or is there something better similar price range? I load mostly 17 hornet 308 and 223.

I'm not sure that I've heard of anyone on here using a Lyman press. Typically people will recommend the RCBS or Lee presses. I'm pretty sure that Lee has a decent turret press kit but I'm not sure what it runs price-wise. I've had great luck with my Lee Challenger kit in case you're looking for a single stage kit.

I have been looking to get my own reloading set up. Im tired of having to call my cousin to use his equipment, my dies and other stuff live there. I was looking at the lyman ultimate kit that has the digit charge thrower tumbler and turret press. Anybody use or have it? I use a basic rcbs kit my cousin got at walmart. He has added other pieces here and there. Anyway i see it for 579 on midway but back ordered currently. Is it worth the money or is there something better similar price range? I load mostly 17 hornet 308 and 223.
I’ve never used that one but Lyman makes decent stuff my self I started on a single stage press and then went to a Dillion xl650 and I love it that’s what I always recommend to people

I have never used a Lyman press, but I started on a Hornady single-stage and had no issues with it. They typically have a nice rebate for a 100 bullets or so, depending on how much you spend.

My dad used Lyman for decades. I’ve used Lyman for many years. I have no issues with Lyman.

Thanks for the info. Yeah my cousin lives down the road. He has a progressive and single stage. I've used both, but i am looking for a simple set up for home. He runs so many ar rounds for himself and friends. He also charges for reloads, so makes sense for him. I have one ordered but of course its backordered. Seems like its a solid kit with a few nice upgrades like the powder thrower and what not.

All my lyman stuff has been good, I started with one of their kits that was on clearance years ago, just the standard single stage press though. There isnt much to a single stage press, I wouldn't worry too much about the name on the side. Not sure about their electric powder drop, haven't used it.

So i have made several rounds, different calibers with my press. All in all i really like the turret style press. I did get the ultimate kit, comes with digital powder thrower. I have checked my weights with different scales, this one is very accurate. I dont precision reload, so for me this is plenty accurate. I think for getting into reloading, especially for hunting. Its a great setup. I have run 308,223,and 17 hornet. Cant get enough of this press. I am planning on eventually upgrading components. Right now i am just enjoying it, and thinking what i will want to upgrade. I most certainly will recommend this press and kit to anyone wanting to get started.

Attachments

• 20200606_135220.jpg
    20200606_135220.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
I'm mostly a RCBS guy, but I use what works best for me for the task, no matter the color. Anyone who tells you that you can only get good loads from this maker or that, (to paraphrase that movie) is trying to sell you something.

Welcome to the rabbit hole that is hand-loading. Be safe and have fun.

I loaded some rounds of 308 today. I had some bullets I got a ton of at an estate sale. Lots of 165 gr 150 and 125 grain 30 cal bullets. I shot a few but they were all moly coated. I didn't like how much I had to scrub my barrel to remove it after shooting. I decided to experiment with some of the 125 grain rounds and my wet tumbler. Ran my media which is a mix of different steel media types, and typical dawn lemishine mix. They all turned out great coating seemed to come off completely, and bullets don't seem to have any deformation. I don't know if the moly coating is good to have or not, haven't researched it. Just from a cleaning aspect, I clean my guns after every outing. It's a pain to remove that junk. I was planning on removing the rest of the coating from the other grain bullets i have. Since I know know the tumbler isn't going to harm the bullets.. Unless it's really that much better to leave it on.

Did you end up with the kit in your original post? How do you like it?
I sure did. I love it would highly recommend it. It's a bit more expensive than other kits out there. However the digital powder throw and turret press are worth it. I have added a few different things here and there to my set up. I got rid of the vibratory tumbler and now I use a wet tumbler, still lyman brand. I would like to order another turret for my press. I would like one for my 223 with powder throw and everything. It's just all around a solid kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back