Lumber & Paint prices - Out of Control?

I went to a big rv place the other day to look at 2021 r pods. Guy said they ordered 60 and factory is only giving them 4. Shipping price has double because according to the salesman the manufacturing company can't find anyone to hire. Unemployment is too lucrative right now. Sad.
My wife works as a regional grocery chain manager and she has fought employment for the last year basically. Nobody wants to work they can stay home on the lucrative unemployment benefits and bring home more pay. When is this going to end? I had a buddy that took the whole spring off to turkey hunt last year and I suspect again this year while he can draw unemployment at a higher rate than his normal pay. Sad

My wife works as a regional grocery chain manager and she has fought employment for the last year basically. Nobody wants to work they can stay home on the lucrative unemployment benefits and bring home more pay. When is this going to end? I had a buddy that took the whole spring off to turkey hunt last year and I suspect again this year while he can draw unemployment at a higher rate than his normal pay. Sad
Yah we had guys refusing to come back to work last year unless they were guaranteed more than 40 hours when season kicked off because what they were making on unemployment. That's gonna come back to bite them when things slow down and there the first to go and there's no unemployment stimulus to help next time.

50lbs was a keg and I do remember real wood kegs of nails & screws.
I paid the same price for 5lbs of 16's that I would have for a 50lbs box(yes, banded in plastic from mexico) 20 years ago.
Funny carpenters wages have not kept up at that rate......................
If I had to hand nail all the time like when I started out, my body would have been shot 25 years ago. Wages are very good right now. How long this house of cards lasts is the real question. Not much longer is my prediction.

I see spray-painted “Now Hiring” signs next to major hotel chains here in the Midwest. The owners must not be able to hire or keep basic labor to clean, manage, & run their hotels.

Not to derail the thread but with all this inflation which will likely only accelerate is it time for hard assets, real estate and possibly crypto? Probably needs a new thread
Crypto thread already here. It's a hoot!

I'm in the process of building a 44'x55' detached garage. The concrete was poured last summer/fall. With these lumber prices the project is on hold until the market corrects itself some. Spending $30+ per sheet of osb, etc is a tough pill to swallow when the project falls more in the "want" category than the "need".

A local contractor I've been communicating with called the other day to see if we were ready to start framing. He said his summer went from being booked solid to being mostly free. He said his customers are pushing the pause button on their projects due to lumber prices.

I see spray-painted “Now Hiring” signs next to major hotel chains here in the Midwest. The owners must not be able to hire or keep basic labor to clean, manage, & run their hotels.
Yah more than likely the original staff is making more now on unemployment, the. They were at the hotel before layoff. Be interesting to see what happens when the unemployment runs out.

Lumber costs have surged more than 170% over the past year, adding around $24,000 to the cost of a new home. Concrete, metal products, appliances, and other expenses are also increasing due to supply chain disruptions caused by COVID-19 shutdowns.

Lumber costs have surged more than 170% over the past year, adding around $24,000 to the cost of a new home. Concrete, metal products, appliances, and other expenses are also increasing due to supply chain disruptions caused by COVID-19 shutdowns.
Seems time is the most precious commodity. For those that have the ability to wait, it will pay off.

I sure hope your right.
Question is probably how long will you have to wait?. Nothing cures high prices like high prices. But if you are a supplier, like an ammo manufacturer or lumber supplier, do you increase manufacturing capacity by incurring a bunch of high fixed costs (new plant, new equipment, hire more workers, etc) if you don't think that change in demand is permanent? I haven't heard anyone say they are going to do that. We will see how that changes over the next 3-6 months.

Question is probably how long will you have to wait?. Nothing cures high prices like high prices. But if you are a supplier, like an ammo manufacturer or lumber supplier, do you increase manufacturing capacity by incurring a bunch of high fixed costs (new plant, new equipment, hire more workers, etc) if you don't think that change in demand is permanent? I haven't heard anyone say they are going to do that. We will see how that changes over the next 3-6 months.
I wonder how many more small guys are starting there own business as well. That will help create more supply. Sort of like when corn and beans went way up a few years ago. Never saw so many pastures and fields that usually aren't farmed get plowed up and planted. Last year they sat stagnant. Maybe that's a totally different situation but I think there is similarities there idk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back