MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

lots of miles

Ike

We went lion hunting over the weekend looking to tree one. Friday morning I set all seven dogs out in front of the ATV and they struck a cat around 7:30 or a little after. The dogs trailed all day and we pulled the last of them off the track around 5:30 PM, as it was getting late and the dogs had been out over twelve hours bawling their guts out in the heat.|oo

Saturday did more of the same thing, put the dogs out front around 6:00 Am and roaded them for 18.5 miles at a hunting speed of around five to eight miles per hour. No luck on that day, just lots of miles of rock, dirt, cactus and heat. Think I'll go riggin for bears this weekend and forget the tough stuff ha!|oo

keep'em treed!
ike

experience with hounds

checked out your web site seems u have lots of experience with hound hunting. Would like to chat with u some time on the subject. Well good luck hunting hope to hear from you sometime. What type of dogs you have hunted with and such and some of your experiences.

Thats a lot of Chasin' nothing ;)

Keep the stories coming bud, It's about your season for Kitties eh ?

coonhunter said:
checked out your web site seems u have lots of experience with hound hunting. Would like to chat with u some time on the subject. Well good luck hunting hope to hear from you sometime. What type of dogs you have hunted with and such and some of your experiences.

Sure thing coonhunter, I'm around most evening and you can just give me a jingle when you get ready!

Ikehump

Moosie said:
Thats a lot of Chasin' nothing ;)

Keep the stories coming bud, It's about your season for Kitties eh ?

LOL, yeah moosie, sounds like alot of chasin and not much catching huh?hump Bear opens back up on Wednesday and lion is still going on some of the year round harvest units....think I'll load hounds this weekend. I went out of town this past weekend to see family, and then the deer and elk hunters have had the woods for a few weeks......but it's time for the hounds to bellow once more!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you've had a great fall,
ike

bear hunting

wondering how much bear hunting u do? If you have bear hunted with your hounds? And if you have had any experiences with plott hounds bear hunting and if so what you thought of them.

coonhunter said:
wondering how much bear hunting u do? If you have bear hunted with your hounds? And if you have had any experiences with plott hounds bear hunting and if so what you thought of them.

I do as much bear hunting as time allows, providing the weather and other things fall into place. Utah doesn't have the bear population density that some of other states have and doesn't allow baiting with hounds, so getting started isn't as easy it it might be other places. However, a guy with good strike dogs and a little knowledge can usually get his hounds down a track when the bears are moving.

As for plotts, I surely don't claim to have any expertise hunting them. I did, however, have a friend over from Colorado this fall to run and kill a bear with me. He is a plott man primarily because he fell into a group of guys that run that breed of hounds. He seemed quit knowledgeable about the breeds and has friends that run plotts on a serious level back in Michigan. The balck and maltese dog in those photos of mine came from Shamrock breeding and are suppose to be some of the "gritty" bear dogs. He also had some Star Mountain, Salmon River plott hounds in the pack. His dogs seemed well behaved. We mixed dogs every day on a bear race. Those hounds seemed to trail and tree well but possibly were not as interested in pounding on an old track as my dogs. I was hoping to get a mean boar on the ground, and get into that bear, so we could both watch his plotts do what plotts do best.....but it never happened as the bears seemed to climb right away.|oo

Oh yeah, that friend has offered me a six month old papered plott out of his best male and female hounds. Like many of us hounddoggers, he wants me to hunt the hound and see what I can make of him........ I've never owned a plott but will most likely have one in my pack in the coming weeks, as it's hard to say no. I keep telling people I'm about done with hounds yet I seem to get deeper into the game as time goes on: more dogs and equipment all the time!hump

(go to the bear section and look under "Two Houndmen Meet." The black male and the gray female are the parents of that six month old pup).

Keep'em treed!
ike

Hound breeds

Coonhunter
I have been running plotts since I started hunting with hounds and the guys I hunt with have been running them for 30 plus years. It seems that they have more grit which equals more vet bills. They are excellent bear dogs but it is harder to find ones that run bobcats. It may be because not many people hunt plotts compared to walkers,blues,or others. And good ones are getting harder to find. Like us if you got good stock that is high reproducers your not going to sell them. Here in wisconsin we run a lot of bear and catch a fair amount. From my experience here it seems that the plotts will stick with mean game alot longer and will keep you out in the woods longer. Just my thoughts and experience.
A good dog is never the wrong color

actually sounds like heaven

Thers not a day that goes by that i myself regret dropping my dogs on a track. I just love being out there . I love comeing up on a tree with a cat in it but even on days that i dont tree i'm glad to have been out in the field than anywhere else. I do this for a liveing now and dont regret it once. I love the field and my dogs never stop.

plotts.

I run a variety of dogs. I currently have 10 hounds and out of those 10, three of them are plotts. I have had them since they were pups and have found them to be some of the fastest learning and they are definatly more aggresive. I have heard mixed reviews as to whether or not they have a good cold nose on them but 2 of the plotts that i have will many times strike a cold track just as fast as my b lue ticks and walkers. it all depends on the age of the dog, the temperment of the dog and the hounds they get to train with. If they are training with younger faster hounds that strike fast and run hard they wont learn as fast but they will learn. I keep at least 2 older slower finished dogs around to teach my pups and i have never had a problem as long as the prospective hound had it in him.

Just so you know. bobcats put out less scent than a lion or house cat and the less experianced dog wont pick up on it as quickly

Hello Ccat...

Welcome aboard :)

I ended up with a Plott by accident...

It's hard to tell until he's in the sunlight, then you can see the brindling in his coat

Picked it up as a pup at the pound in Missoula...

Been a great dog, isn't allowed to chase any thing, but can run and run...

He started suffering from grandmal seizers last summer, very bad thing

Finally got him on Phenobarbital and seems to be doing fine now... Whew.... those things really suck, especially on his last round when he had 14-20 hard ones in a day...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back