Lost our buddy-UPDATE

belshawelk

Thank you all for the kind words. Found a new pup. Gonna give a GSP a run. Pick her up in a few weeks. Pic below.

Lost our beloved boxer two weeks ago. Really really tough as most of you know, especially on my wife as I was traveling on business and the dog died at home with her. He was her special buddy. Our other dog is a border collie /heeler mix. My wife and I are wavering back and forth on getting another dog or just staying with one. We like the idea of just spending time with Mallie our heeler/mix but she is really moping around. I know it will get better, but all she has known is being around our boxer. Our kids come home with their dogs and Mallie really likes playing with them.

We are considering a labradoodle, sheepadoodle or one of the mixes with one of them. Their are so many and seems like they mix them with everything. We are looking for a mid- full size dog.

Anyone have one of the designer dogs? thoughts on another dog

Attachments

• Buddy.jpg
    Buddy.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7489.jpeg
    IMG_7489.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7486.jpeg
    IMG_7486.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sorry for your loss man. For every 100 bad men in this world, there’s always 1 good dog to take their place.

FWIW my wife and I thought about getting a dog a long time ago. Really leaned on a labradoodle for some reason. Ended up with a cat instead, not sure how, but anyway. Take it for what it’s worth!

Sorry for your loss!

My parents have a mini labradoodle, good dog that they essentially got for nothing because one of those boutique breeders accepted a puppy return. Their only complaint is the grooming, every 6-8 weeks or the dog gets pretty out of hand.

Sorry for your loss. We have two that are on the downhill direction, has not been a happy day here for a while.

Not designer dog folks, we are 100% Airedale Terrier folks. We can tell you all about them, but know little to nothing on the designer dogs.

David
NM

Condolences on your loss. No sadness like doggone sadness. For a family or companion dog that isn't going hunting, I'm partial to rescuing from a shelter or rescue group. The gratitude. . . IME it takes several months for a dog to recover from the loss of their pal. That process is more intense if the surviving dog didn't get to see and smell the deceased one after it passed. Without that canine closure, I guess the dog thinks the missing friend is gone and may be coming back.

Condolences on your loss. No sadness like doggone sadness. For a family or companion dog that isn't going hunting, I'm partial to rescuing from a shelter or rescue group. The gratitude. . . IME it takes several months for a dog to recover from the loss of their pal. That process is more intense if the surviving dog didn't get to see and smell the deceased one after it passed. Without that canine closure, I guess the dog thinks the missing friend is gone and may be coming back.
our other dog was home and layed by his side. I know most won’t believe this but at same time our dog died our other dog goes and lays in that spot everyday so far. 2 weeks straight. I dunno

Losing dogs is tough. My condolences to you and your wife.

As for designer breeds we’ve got a first generation Labradoodle. He’s a great companion dog, he’s always by someone in the house. Probably would have been an ok retriever, I kinda wasn’t that mad at em when I should have been training him.

Only downsides are he barks at everything like a poodle, and this shaggy beast sheds hair like I’ve never seen. E7A988F3-AF6D-43EF-81AE-CFEAAEF19CC8.jpegDAE80D3D-23E0-4746-9ED0-BF3896747E4F.jpeg

sorry for your loss, lost my 14 yr old border collie a bit over a month ago. we bought some extra time but cancer was finally the winner.

I'm honestly going to say skip the designer breeds, 99% of them are poorly breed dogs that end up having health or behavioral issues.

we just picked up a gsp puppy last weekend, my wife and I were doing the same trying to just make it through the summer with 1 dog (3 yr old gsp) but I had been eyeing up this breeder for almost a year and the timing of the litter will work out ok with our summer plans/schedule. Even the day before I wasn't sure if we were making the right move, the next 2 nights after getting the puppy were rough, now I think our 3yr old gsp and myself have a bit more peace in the world (my wife tolerated my border collie but never loved her, so she misses her but not in the same way me and our other dog do)

If you enjoy the active life of the border collie heeler, a GSP is a fine compliment. well breed gsp should be healthy, easy to train, fun to be around

First off I am so sorry to hear your loss. It's never easy to lose a great companion like that. I lost my best friend Cooper 3 years ago and will never get over it.

It's a hard decision whether or not to get another dog. In our case my wife really wanted to get another dog right away and so we did. It seemed to make her happy and our other dog was ok with it. It actually just made me miss Cooper even more but I will never tell my wife that.

Can't comment on the breeds you mentioned, we have Saint Bernard's.

Lost our beloved boxer two weeks ago. Really really tough as most of you know, especially on my wife as I was traveling on business and the dog died at home with her. He was her special buddy. Our other dog is a border collie /heeler mix. My wife and I are wavering back and forth on getting another dog or just staying with one. We like the idea of just spending time with Mallie our heeler/mix but she is really moping around. I know it will get better, but all she has known is being around our boxer. Our kids come home with their dogs and Mallie really likes playing with them.

We are considering a labradoodle, sheepadoodle or one of the mixes with one of them. Their are so many and seems like they mix them with everything. We are looking for a mid- full size dog.

Anyone have one of the designer dogs? thoughts on another dog
We got a golden doodle pup last fall and he is a wonderful family dog.

Sorry for your loss. We have two that are on the downhill direction, has not been a happy day here for a while.

Not designer dog folks, we are 100% Airedale Terrier folks. We can tell you all about them, but know little to nothing on the designer dogs.

David
NM
Do love my airedale. I inherited him from folks when dad passed and mom went to sis's place. He's rather unique

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back