Looking for some general knowledge about Wyoming Elk Unit 16

Dougfirtree

I'm doing research for a trip next fall. I'd like to take my 12 year old son out to Wyoming, along with a friend and his 13 year old son. Tags would be for the kids. I'm looking at good type 4 cow tags for them (each will have one point). Central, or southern WY is preferable for us and we'd be going in early October.

Unit 16 has caught my eye as a possibility, but looking at it has me a little worried about a frustrating hunt with ATVs everywhere and elk escaping to private land. I'd really like to put these kids in a unit where they'll see elk and have a real shot on public land.

In any case, I'm not really asking about specific locations, I'm more curious about the unit, in general: What's good about it, what is challenging about it, how bad is the private land refuge situation? If you've hunted the unit, I'd appreciate any wisdom you're willing to share. PM's are fine.

Thanks!

Giving this one a bump, just in case. Mostly just interested in how big of an issue the private land is in this unit, early in the rifle season. I don't want to put these kids in a place where the elk are all "over the fence." Much appreciated if you know the unit and you're willing to share your take on that question, by pm. Thanks!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back