Looking for new gun

if your talking bigger caliber I guess you mean larger bullet. Then 338. Or .338-06. If your talking about just more boom boom than your 308 I would say 300 win mag or 7mm mag.

Last edited:
.300 PRC is an interesting concept. That is a lllooonnnnggg cartridge. The weight of the rifle to shoot it accurately is probably more than I care to pack into a hunt. A more practical "punch their lights out" hunting caliber seems to be the .30 nosler. A person can get a good quality, lighweight rifle with muzzle brake in .30 nosler for around 1500. Having said that, a lightweight .308 is looking better and better!

How big do you want to go? If you are brown bear hunting or dangerous game or something like that, consider the 375 H&H :alien:

I don't know why you would want anything bigger than a .308 caliber. There are tremendous boomers available in .308. Higher than that, and you are pretty limited. .338, .375, .400, .500. You must really like recoil and heavy rifles.

All of the mentioned critters are taken with bows every year.
Hence you don't NEED anything bigger than your 308.
Want is another story entirely.
For more power you can start with these.
30-06
7mm Rem Mag
338-06
7mm Rem Mag
300 Win Mag
7mm Rem Mag
338 Win Mag
7mm Rem Mag
340 Weatherby
7mm Rem Mag
330 Dakota
7mm Rem Mag

If it were me, out of those choices, i'd probably lean towards the 7mm Rem Mag...
:D:

308 is not a bad round, shoot what you are comfortable with. Bigger is not always better. If you have a rifle you trust to do the job, then that is all you need. I have seen Moose taken with a .270win, a 308 is just as dependable of a round. What matters more is a well placed shot. In my opinion of course.

300 Rum but if your feeling frisky and dont mind a big boy just get a 338 Rum and your done ! All set for Big Bear's , Moose and any other Critter !
Oh and the Remington AWR rifles are a great choice at around $ 850.00 or so ! Been there !! Good luck on your choice !

MT.PERCHMAN

I have my fourth 308 right now, just don't shoot a lot anymore. If I was going to get something different that the 308, I'd give a lot of thought's to bullet's. Go to a 300 mag and any bullet you can shoot from it will also work in the 308. problem is the 308 velocity with heavier bullet's goes down pretty quicl. Living in Alaska my rifle was a 308. Carried it in on a few fishing trip's for protection against bears and loaded it with 200gr bullet's. Now that probably isn't the best idea for long range but long range didn't matter and at 100 yds that 200gr bullet gave me 2" groups, lot more recoil too but not objectionable. If I were to hunt dangerous game I wouldn't give some long range cartridge a thought. Much easier to wound dangerous game a long range than normal range! What I'd look for is something that would use a heavier bullet at decent velocity. That to me means 338 and up. But when your getting up that high I can't thing of a good reason not to go with some magnum. They handle heavier bullet's much better. 338 mad with a 250gr bullet would be kind of awesome! I've had two 338's and never considered that heavy a bullet only because with the 225gr bullet they beat the tar out of me unless I shot a lot! 30 cal seem's to me to be a cit off line for dangerous game. My idea about going beyond 30 cal, 308 30-06 class, is don't half step. 300 mag is a half step but have to admit with heavy bullet's it is certainly something to be recconded with. But a 300 mag with a 200gr bullet is not a pimple on the butt of a 338 mag with a 250gr bullet!

Seem's like every time a subject like this come up the though right away turns to min elk size animals and dangerous animals. Elk could easily be on your list but something like Grizzly, most people don't even think of unless they live in Grizzly country or are rich! Speaking of which, I read somewhere years ago that the most popular cartridge in Alaska was the 30-06. Don't know if that's true or not but I felt good to go with my 308,,,with the right bullet.

308 is not a bad round, shoot what you are comfortable with. Bigger is not always better. If you have a rifle you trust to do the job, then that is all you need. I have seen Moose taken with a .270win, a 308 is just as dependable of a round. What matters more is a well placed shot. In my opinion of course.

Moose can easily be taken with a .270win to the vitals as it has much higher velocities (better over 400 yards) and a flatter trajectory. Think of it as a long(ish) range .308 replacement.

But for raw dangerous game stopping power (talk Grizzlies) as the poster above said, although the .308 and other 30 cals are sufficient, the bigger bullets like the 375 H&H and 338s are better suited.

But if you shooting is limited to the kind of Elks and Moose, I guess, your 30 cals work fine and you should stay under that to keep your recoil to a minimum and sustain shooting enjoy-ability.

Larger game hunt such as Elk, bison, hog, moose, and bear

every animal on your list, 348. But Don makes a good point. I immediately thought "Grizzly" and maybe your thinking black bear,

but a 30-06 would also work, even on the Grizzly.

I strongly recommend you do not use a 7mm unless you want to track a lot of wounded animals

Sorry STD7mag, I could not resist

I must admit, there's something intriguing and attractive about the .338-06.

This round has intrigued me for years. I finished my rifle project For this cartridge just last weekend and can’t wait to shoot it! Back on topic though, my vote is for the .338-06!😉👍

If it's moose dropping power, you could always step up to the 6.5X55 Swede.

Just say'n....
That's an amazing round! The very high sectional density makes quite the penetrator. The high sectional density and easy recoil is what has made the .270 so popular.

every animal on your list, 348. But Don makes a good point. I immediately thought "Grizzly" and maybe your thinking black bear,

but a 30-06 would also work, even on the Grizzly.

I strongly recommend you do not use a 7mm unless you want to track a lot of wounded animals

Sorry STD7mag, I could not resist

Never had the need to track anything with my 7mm Rem Mag.

Choose the right bullet at the right velocities, easily as capable as an 06', but with longer range potential.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back