Looking for boot opinions

Miller, can you provide a review on the Grand Dru? I'm especially interested in how they compare to the Triolet. Do they provide a little better ankle support? Does your heel stay put?

Sucks when you find a great boot that fits you, but then can't find them any more!

I tried the Zamberlan 960 Guide and it was just a touch too narrow for my foot. I could get by if I was only walking on even ground but they were never the great boot I was hoping for. I then purchased a pair of the Scarpa SL Active. They've been more comfortable than the Zamberlan and I wore them most of last summer. I keep hoping for a deal on Lowa Renegade as they were the most comfortable mid height hiking boot for me. The Meindl Denali is the most comfortable 9" boot for me and I've had several pairs now. I see Cabelas doesn't carry them but Meindl USA has a Vakuum Hunter that looks identical. I'm debating on those but have been looking at trying a pair of Hoffman boots.

Heavier, but not bad now that I am used to it. I had to untie the laces occasionally when I was driving for long periods, but good now. I were them every day and happy with the purchase. That being said, I would still but the Triolets and save some money. Ankle support is good, but wasn’t an issue on the triolets either. Better on Dru. Just got back from the field.BD638657-4ACD-4D2D-9420-ADA1B08357C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Heavier, but not bad now that I am used to it. I had to untie the laces occasionally when I was driving for long periods, but good now. I were them every day and happy with the purchase. That being said, I would still but the Triolets and save some money. Ankle support is good, but wasn’t an issue on the triolets either. Better on Dru. Just got back from the field.View attachment 129439

That blue is cute, does GunR have a collar to match? You do know you don't really need those boots, amirite? ;)

Just an update on the Grand Dru. After 2 years the stitches popped on both boots. I contacted Scarpa, but knowing the warranty was only 1 year, I didn't have high hopes. As expected, Scarpa rep told me about the 1 year warranty, but did recommend authorized service centers. Oh well, worth a shot.

I will see if I can have them restitched locally, but thought I would share my experience with the boot. Still a bit fan of the Triolet, which I refuse to throw away, but not so much on the Grand Dru.

Other boot isn't as bad, but getting there in a hurry.
scarpa-1.jpg

I have a pair of Danner's that have lasted me 25 years. 23 of those years they have been in my closet and not on my foot.

#boothorder 😂

I used to always get Danner Pronghorns for light field work, fit my feet well…till they didn’t. I’ve got a pair about that same vintage!

I have been looking again for everyday boot for me. NM west. Those Scarpas look like several I have tried here,after a month....LOL.

Been wearing Lowa Camino for last 2 years,almost everyday. Most comfortable boot I have had in years,with exception of the Lowa Tibet GTX insulated, I've worn all winter now for 3 years. But they are not everyday boots either...lol.
The only problem Camino's have is the rand is thin and wearing out. Never gotten wet feet,never overheated. Full leather/modern materials on top and even small cuts from NM rock have not grown nor failed. Soles like they have only been worn a few times.

I started looking at the old favorites from the past to maybe replace them. Redwing,Danner and even Thorogood. Wore Danners everyday for 20 years and finally threw out the last pair that are not made anymore or in America.
But due to the terrain where I live and a recent foot injury got me back to a hunting/hiker for everyday work. Caminos or a newer thicker rand style. Hell any boot that lasts here and protects my feet.

None of the non leather uppers tennis shoe type have worked for me here. Sticks & such go right thru,stitching failures,rock cuts & bruises on the feet.Quality expensive brands too.........none work.

So I am giving the Camino's a treatment while I look for more Lowas.

I have a pair of Danner's that have lasted me 25 years. 23 of those years they have been in my closet and not on my foot.
Probably model of boot. My favorites attempt the Acadias. Love those
But if a boots not right for you they suck. I finally threw out my Cochran Jump Boots after thirty years of owning and less than forty hours of use. My feet hurt thinking about them

I might still have a pair of danners in the garage storage. Should really toss them.

Wife and I both have Hoffman boots. That was expensive day at the store, but very happy with them.

I have a couple pair of Asolo Hunter, I think they are, discontinued sadly but good deals can be had too. Super mountain boot
I might still have a pair of danners in the garage storage. Should really toss them.

Wife and I both have Hoffman boots. That was expensive day at the store, but very happy with them.
I have a pair of their packs, I presume you're talking about their mountain boot? I was eyeing them the other day.

I have a couple pair of Asolo Hunter, I think they are, discontinued sadly but good deals can be had too. Super mountain boot

I have a pair of their packs, I presume you're talking about their mountain boot? I was eyeing them the other day.

Yes, I have the 8" Explorer and my wife has the Summits. I have been looking at the packs as well for winter.

I guess I am a liar. Went to grab them out of the closet and they are no longer. I guess I tossed them at some point. IIRC, they were Canadian model. Pretty sure they were a mix of leather and sponge. ahaahahah
I just found a pair of Merrills under the couch I forgot about. The sole came apart after 6 months along with the stitching. So much for light hikers in NM.

The Danner & Redwing boots I wore since the 60's are no more,quality wise. Sad. And my feet are old.

Lowa's are the same quality as before IMHO. The comfort on my old feet is needed.
I wanted to buy American again but did not want to go full mountain boots for everyday wear. I should check closer for mid weight hunters from Kenetrek,Latham & Hanwag.

Tough to beat the comfort on my feet in the Lowa's tho....suggestions?

Back