Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Looking for advice on aoudad hunts - NM/TX

Gater

A couple buddies and I are looking into a NM aoudad hunt, so I’m looking for some advice. I’ve read up on the OTC tags in NM and how low the harvest rates are, but are there any areas anyone can recommend that at least have animals? We’re willing to work for it and understand the low odds of success, but we’d like to give it a go anyway.

Also, of the draw units, which one(s) would you guys recommend? Admittedly, I haven’t researched success rates for each unit through the NM F&G site, but I was hoping you guys could help me narrow down my research material.

Lastly - we actually live in TX and would prefer a TX DIY hunt (with trespass fees), but the only places I’ve found through Google searching charge what I consider and unappealing fee for a DIY hunt. Not bashing them, it’s their land, they can charge whatever they want, but $2500+ for 5 days of DIY hunting is out of my league.

Thanks. Are those draw only units?
I'd highly recommend you do the base research first if you want genuine help from this forum. Coming in and clearly not even opening up the NM website and figuring out general unit layout and draws doesn't look to good for yourself.

I'd highly recommend you do the base research first if you want genuine help from this forum. Coming in and clearly not even opening up the NM website and figuring out general unit layout and draws doesn't look to good for yourself.

The only NM hunting I’ve done is for coyotes, so I don’t have my bearings on how the state operates for big game. I asked about OTC and draw units, but don’t know if there’s OTC tags within draw unit or some draw units are off limits to the OTC tags. I’ve hunted about 8 different states and each one’s regs typically read like stereo instructions. But, I agree, I’ve got a lot to read up on, just trying to leverage other people’s experience to flatten my learning curve and help make sense out of what can tend to be consufusing as it’s put in print through the regulation books.

The best units for aoudad are usually draw. OTC units are possible, but you have to be lucky and work your ass off.

32 and 33 are draw units, the draw has all ready closed for the 2020-2021 seasons in New Mexico. I spent a few weekends last year in the west side of 34 (the unit is divided up between draw and OTC areas) never did get eyes on any sheep. Saw a lot of sign, I think. Still not sure how to tell the difference between mule deer and sheep shit. I did spend a couple days up in unit 38 near the border of 32 hoping maybe the draw hunt pressure would push some sheep into 38. Still nothing. I still see plenty of folks both here and on youtube having success with the OTC tags. I am planning to try again next year with and OTC tag. I think that option is better if you live close enough to put multiple weekends throughout the year. If I were only able to drive in for a 5 day hunt I would probably shoot for the draw.

That is my thread, it gets into a bit about the boundry in unit 34 for otc. That is the only unit that is divided like that. The rest are either draw or otc.

32 and 33 are draw units, the draw has all ready closed for the 2020-2021 seasons in New Mexico. I spent a few weekends last year in the west side of 34 (the unit is divided up between draw and OTC areas) never did get eyes on any sheep. Saw a lot of sign, I think. Still not sure how to tell the difference between mule deer and sheep shit. I did spend a couple days up in unit 38 near the border of 32 hoping maybe the draw hunt pressure would push some sheep into 38. Still nothing. I still see plenty of folks both here and on youtube having success with the OTC tags. I am planning to try again next year with and OTC tag. I think that option is better if you live close enough to put multiple weekends throughout the year. If I were only able to drive in for a 5 day hunt I would probably shoot for the draw.

That is my thread, it gets into a bit about the boundry in unit 34 for otc. That is the only unit that is divided like that. The rest are either draw or otc.

Awesome info, thank you.

Roswell is about 7.5 hours from me, so weekend hunts are out, but I could probably take a few long weekends and get out there. I’m expecting it to take 2-3 trips just to learn the areas and read sign. I’ll likely try the OTC tag until I can draw a tag. I wouldn’t mind getting out to the area just to hunt coyotes and “scout” areas at the same time.

You'll spend less money going with the texas DIY hunt in the long run, and have a hunt where you actually see something, than trying NM OTC. The OTC NM hunts are OTC for a reason - few animals, and the NMDFG wants even fewer. The people who know where the sheep are worked hard to locate them, and asking for any information is really unlikely to yield more than a quadrant of the state. If you want to drive a lot and walk a lot, but be unlikely to ever see a sheep, get the NM OTC tag and hunt 30 days, and if you want to drive a lot, walk a lot and see AND shoot sheep, do a TX hunt in 4-5 days.

@Bluffgruff - you make a good point about the amount spent vs success. I guess for us it's more about the adventure and exploring new country than the success rate, but obviously, we'd like to be successful too. If my main goal was to get a nice ram hung on the wall, no doubt, a west TX pay ranch is the way to go. That might not even be a bad way to do the 1st hunt and learn how it's done. Get one under your belt and then try to get one in NM OTC or draw. It's a lot to weigh out. I just get gun shy on those TX ranch prices thinking of all the other big game public land hunting I could do with that money. Hell, I could go back to Africa and shoot several animals for what some places charge for an aoudad.

NM aoudad hunts that are draw have odds that are not great and getting worse. Every instahunter who has drawn in the past 5 years has posted their success all over the internet and it is not helping odds.

Texas has great options. $2500 for a 5 day hunt in TX is a great deal if there are in fact resident sheep on the property and it is big enough to hold sheep.

Best of luck. I have not hunted them but would love to. Neat animal.

Makes me feel fortunate that I was able to go Auodad hunting when I did. I got a ewe and a ram in Texas and will probably never have another opportunity based on the growing demand. Just 6 years ago most people
in Texas considered them trash now they are a trophy species.

I am in texas and I plan on going to New Mexico this summer for an OTC Barbary hunt with my dad and I know the success rate is low but I'm willing to hunt hard. This will be my first real backcountry hunt so I'm hoping it will be great experience under my belt but I still don't know which unit to go to. I know which units are OTC and which aren't, but I was wanted to know if all of the OTC units have sheep on them, or is it just a select few? Thank you.

I believe if they are open and designated for OTC then they have sheep. The game department sets open quotas in these units because they want them out.
I haven’t hunt for them in any other unit other than the west side of 34. Super tough hunt due to the hiking and elevation changes involved. But once you figure them out you can see them everytime you go there, or at least I do. I had a guy tell me that once upon a time before I could find them and he wasn’t wrong. If you want to know more about hunting them in 34 let me know.
Yes, I would like to know more please. I've heard about unit 34 but I'm reluctant to go there because I hear it gets hit hard and another thread I was reading said unit 34 only has 10 sheep (I don't know if that's correct but that's what I read) But if what you tell me about it a is good then I will consider going there.

Last edited:
I have a tag for unit 32, 33, 34 her at the end of January. Still working on my first big game tag after 3 years. I'll be looking near the south side of Felix Ranch and possibly east side of Sacramento mountains. Any one had much lick in those areas.

Yes, I would like to know more please. I've heard about unit 34 but I'm reluctant to go there because I hear it gets hit hard and another thread I was reading said unit 34 only has 10 sheep (I don't know if that's correct but that's what I read) But if what you tell me about it a is good then I will consider going there.
I'm no professional but that doesn't sound too correct. At least not for barbary. The unit produces decent big rams each year and boasts a 40% success rate.

Planning on going out to 31 or 34 in October... buddy wants to hit 31 but I can find a good reason not to hit west side of 34... anyone ever had success or Aoudad sights in 31?

Back