Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Looking for a partner to hunt the West with, long term

Mattgo

Hi, I'm a 40 year old father of 2 from TN. Always hunted whitetail locally, never traveled out of state to hunt. Always thought that elk hunting was out of reach financially till I found out about DIY with OTC tags on public land. Being from TN we have a very small amount of public hunting land so I've never really considered it. In decent shape, former military and combat infantry vet. Spend 10-16 nights a year outside backpacking and camping now.

I'm looking to hunt CO in the 2nd rifle season for at least the next 3-4 years for elk and mule deer. This year will be my first year out west, and if I have to go by myself I will. But I'd rather be with a buddy who shares similar interests and to help each other pack meat out.

Specifically looking at OTC hunts in CO. Considering applying for draw hunts in the future but I think it's best to just get out West first and see what it's all about.

I'm interested in getting back to where the animals are at, so I'm looking at backpacking into remote areas and setting up a small spike camp. Also willing to backpack hunt everyday if needed. Primarily a rifle hunter but I'm good with a compound bow, just too warm here in TN for me during our bow season.

Please let me know if you've got similar interests/hunting style. I've got equipment for hunting out of a drop camp, and I'm not opposed to that, just more interested in getting to where the elk are than being comfortable at night.

Hey Mattgo. I live in TN as well and have taken 4 trips out west to hunt. I sure understand your statement of hot and humid in TN. Anyway I'm 45 and in a little different situation as I've been putting in points since my early 30's. So maybe we are at different points in our hunting goals but always enjoy talking hunting of any kind. Good luck this fall.

Hi, I'm a 40 year old father of 2 from TN. Always hunted whitetail locally, never traveled out of state to hunt. Always thought that elk hunting was out of reach financially till I found out about DIY with OTC tags on public land. Being from TN we have a very small amount of public hunting land so I've never really considered it. In decent shape, former military and combat infantry vet. Spend 10-16 nights a year outside backpacking and camping now.

I'm looking to hunt CO in the 2nd rifle season for at least the next 3-4 years for elk and mule deer. This year will be my first year out west, and if I have to go by myself I will. But I'd rather be with a buddy who shares similar interests and to help each other pack meat out.

Specifically looking at OTC hunts in CO. Considering applying for draw hunts in the future but I think it's best to just get out West first and see what it's all about.

I'm interested in getting back to where the animals are at, so I'm looking at backpacking into remote areas and setting up a small spike camp. Also willing to backpack hunt everyday if needed. Primarily a rifle hunter but I'm good with a compound bow, just too warm here in TN for me during our bow season.

Please let me know if you've got similar interests/hunting style. I've got equipment for hunting out of a drop camp, and I'm not opposed to that, just more interested in getting to where the elk are than being comfortable at night.
In the same situation
Message me

Hey Mattgo. I live in TN as well and have taken 4 trips out west to hunt. I sure understand your statement of hot and humid in TN. Anyway I'm 45 and in a little different situation as I've been putting in points since my early 30's. So maybe we are at different points in our hunting goals but always enjoy talking hunting of any kind. Good luck this fall.
Where abouts in TN? What advice do you have for a guy doing an OTC hunt?

Where abouts in TN? What advice do you have for a guy doing an OTC hunt?

Southern Indiana actually
Did an OTC archery hunt last year. Didnt bring one home but had a great time. Partner backed out for archery so I’m thinking about OTC second rifle. Going solo unless someone wants to meet up or ride along

Mattgo. I live in Mt. Juliet. How about you?
I'm in Crossville, about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville. Grew up in Gallatin though. I always hit up the Reloader's Bench when I go to Mt. Juliet and peruse their powder stash!

Back