Looking for a good deer/elk knife

Mora knives will do any job you need to do on game and are easy to sharpen in the field. Cheap and tough. From there the sky is the limit.

Have the Randy Gerber DTS but have my Benchmade Bugout on me and worked this last winter when I forgot my kit in the truck and wolves were howling closeby. Bugout worked well in a pinch and stayed pretty sharp. Love the DTS though.

Have the Randy Gerber DTS but have my Benchmade Bugout on me and worked this last winter when I forgot my kit in the truck and wolves were howling closeby. Bugout worked well in a pinch and stayed pretty sharp. Love the DTS though.
Love my bugout and don’t leave home without it. Hope I don’t have to process an animal with it but it would do the trick!

well I would tell you the Benchmade Steep Country is the best knife I have ever had. And I have had lots. Never had a knife keep its edge. Two years ago used it on 3 elk, never sharpening in between. Last year 2 elk. It ll break down, de bone and skin. Do it all.

But benchmade made is on my crap list. so I cant tell you that anymore.

I've heard some good things about Moraknives. Seem pretty inexpensive. but they seem to have a thicker blade. Are they a good option for field dressing and quartering game?

Open to any suggestion under $80 hahaha
Very good knives, especially for the money. I have two, both gifts. They are almost the same. Older one is stainless with a fire starter rod in the handle. I think Mora gave up on that idea ... and they should have. The rod rots off and then no way to keep the butt cap attached. The newer "conventional" model has a carbon steel blade. It holds a much sharper blade but it will not look pretty long as the carbon steel can rust. Always oil it when finished and it will be okay. Not sure where my buddy picked that knife up as I've never seen anything but stainless in the stores. They are not pretty knives but they are workhorses. And if you lose it or break it, easily and cheaply replaced. The plastic sheath looks cheezy but it's very functional. Knife dries out in it quickly and I love how it snaps on and off the belt without having to pull belt out of loops so pants fall down.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back