“Long range”/ smokeless muzzleloaders

I think I'm going to build with one of Arrowheads barrels and plug kit on a 700 action
I sure hope that you are not making a mistake, because I am doing the same thing. Just got my barreled action back from Luke. It is now glassbedded in a carbon fiber stock. In two weeks I hope to have a Nightforce mounted on it.

It will be my front loading elk shooting device, that is legal for muzzleloading elk seasons in AZ and NM.

I sure hope that you are not making a mistake, because I am doing the same thing. Just got my barreled action back from Luke. It is now glassbedded in a carbon fiber stock. In two weeks I hope to have a Nightforce mounted on it.

It will be my front loading elk shooting device, that is legal for muzzleloading elk seasons in AZ and NM.

I had Luke build a gun for me back around 2013 or so on an old 700 muzzleloader action with a mcgowen 45 cal barrel, savage breach plug, and the bolt nose kit to hold a 209 primer in the end of the bolt. Mine absolutely wads up Parker match 300 grainers. I talked to him not long ago when I was buying a muzzle brake/powder funnel combo from him, and he was telling me how much better the new ignition system with the brass primer holder is. You won't be disappointed!

It interesting to hear the ethics debate this thread spurned. I’m an avid muzzleloader hunter. I don’t own a smokeless but if I draw a tag in a state that allows it again I’m gonna bust my ass to get one for the hunt. Yes they extend your effective range. But they still are not modern centerfires, you can’t quickly cycle the bolt and reload.
I hunt to the regulations. I have a “Colorado” gun, a .54 set up heavy with iron sights. I have a “New Mexico” gun shooting sabots topped with a nice Leupold. I have another gun I’ve used in Iowa, Virginia and Kansas. I also have a .54 flintlock I use in Pennsylvania because they have a restriction during their late season that requires it.
In my selection of tools I use the state wildlife’s agency’s guidelines. I hunt to maximize my effective range within those guidelines.
If you don’t like the rules. I’m sorry. But I’m gonna play to them.
And I’m not gonna complain that guys not hunting with recurves aren’t being “primitive”

Just enjoying the conversation...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back