MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Long overdue catch-up

S13tsilvia

Here in Australia Covid restrictions stopped us going to parties, funerals and weddings.
Sadly a legend in the hound hunting community passed away who I was lucky enough to be part of the hound team along with my father and grandfather for many years. I started going bush with dad not long after I could walk and hound hunting has been in my blood ever since.

Well our old crew leader passed during Covid and none of the old crew could catch up and have a drink and reminisce until now. His grandson has also kept hunting and runs his own crew and has arranged for everyone to come for a hunt this weekend.
I haven't seen some of the guys for over 20 years as the crew drifted apart when our leader gave it away due to poor health. Some stopped hound hunting, others went to different crews etc.

To say I am excited is an understatement , almost like I am going on my first hunts again to catch up with many legends of yesteryear and to hopefully kill a few deer and make some more memories.

Bring on the weekend!

Managed to snag 4 deer for the day which was a great result. This guy came out and ran down a road for about a K and I came around the corner and caught up to him as he was hauling ass down the road. By the time I managed to slide to a stop Me jump out of the truck he was out of sight , the dogs then came screaming through hot on his marks and one of the other guys got him about 30mins later.
He was about 180kgs dressed I estimate, a big heavy body stag that went about 24" and we hoisted him up onto the truck and continued chasing the other deer !

Attachments

• IMG20210619095358_copy_640x606.jpg
    IMG20210619095358_copy_640x606.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 17
That's really cool.

Also, the sambar and hound hunts are some of you guys' most interesting hunts. It's like a modern version of a very old style of hound/stag hunts.

That's really cool.

Also, the sambar and hound hunts are some of you guys' most interesting hunts. It's like a modern version of a very old style of hound/stag hunts.
Pretty much mate, from horses, to cars, to 4wds and all the other modern tech such as trackers etc.

Sounds like a great time! What type of hounds do you use in Australia? I would love to hunt deer with hounds again. We used to have races with lost hounds. It was some exciting times.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back