Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Lockness duck eater?

Tom

I shot this duck yesterday over a pond. He was still flapping down on the water amost accross to the other side. Then the water got calm and the duck dissappeared. I walked over there and only saw a few ripples the whole time, never saw the duck again.

You think the Lockness monster lives there and ate him? Maybe he got stuck in seaweed underneath and died. Maybe, Sasquatch, the sea version, got him?

Did this ever happen to you?

That's to bad you lost your duck Tom..It's very funny on how you justified it's apperent dissapearance...LOL... :D

I saw a flathead catfish eat a big mallard before, but I think it is more likely he swam into some weeds and got stuck. For story telling purposes I think you should go with the lockness theory.

Tom last year while hunting ducks on bartlett lake I shot one while fishing. it went down 20 feet from the boat never to be seen again.. no feathers nothing(except for where/when it hit.. I have had that probelm at other lakes as well. I have been told that ducks will sink when shot and killed
Delw

i havent had one sink on me since using steel shot lol
i have heard that if there alive when they hit the water they will dive an get caught in under water bushes an trees

I'VE DUCK HUNTED FOR A LONG TIME, AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT A DUCK WANT SINK. BUT HE WILL DIVE DOWN AND HANG UP TO GET AWAY AND HE WILL DIE UNDER WATER AND WILL NOT COME BACK UP.

JMO

I have heard about the diving suicide ducks before, but I am not buying into it. It is amazing how long and how far a duck can swim under water. My dog has found several that I dropped in open water and ended up being retreived in bulrush 30-40 yards away. It is also amazing how low profile they can be on the water surface. One time while I was collecting some duck from a swim-in trap there was a bird I could not find. We were banding what we thought was the last duck when this guy surfaced in the trap (5'x12'). I crawled back in the trap and he was gone again. I assumed he found a gap at the bottom and freed himself. Finally when I was trying to get out, I found him in a corner with only his bill above the surface. Tricky little vermin, but we finally put the jewelry on him.

I guess the hanging up in underwater vegetation is possible, but I think more times than not they made it to some cover.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back