Locked down with a doe is BS!?

Problem with excuses is they are easier to find than solutions.....

This guy seems to be able to go in after 'em......R.G. Bernier

And who is the family from Maine who is famous for tracking big bucks? the Benoits?

Bet you could find a landowner who would love you if you cut some "fire roads" in their wood lots. Might be a good side gig to earn $ for a western Hunting trip...

Have I riled you up yet? Wait till I show you the picture of my College roommate who shot a 4x4 WT in the eye stillhunting a ridge in Northern Idaho at about 30 yards. Caught him in his bed....

Herer we go...

mcneilbuck.jpg

Last edited:
Randy, not all of us hunt where there is elevated glassing areas. Some of us hunt where it’s flat and so thick a rabbit won’t enter it. So the only way to hunt it is to hunt the edge. Those big buck will keep does in there until after legal shooting light. Some of those buck are not killable till the late season when their stomachs win out. If we flat landers could get on a knob and look down in there with our rifles it would be a different story. You westerners got it good no matter how many NR flood to MT to shoot a forkie.
Late to the party, but I hunt a lot of these types of lands. I usually wait for a really windy day with either a heavy rain or after a rain. This should really quiet you down as you make your way in. Preseason scouting this area where you freely blow out the area and find the buck beds should tell you where you need to set up based on his travel routes. Deer usually dont know you are a predator unless they get your scent, see you or hear something that isnt "animal like" i.e. metal on metal or coughing. I do this tactic frequently during september and october bow season and have been successful. I usually will go in and set up for when he gets up just before dark and sit until dark. Dont try to walk in at "O dark thirty" and think you can sneak in before daylight, you will make a ton of unnatural noise. I havent found a good way to get in when there is a layer of snow though, too much noise. I use this same tactic hunting deer in the cattails and prairies. I hope this is helpful to you or someone else. Have a great day!

Late to the party, but I hunt a lot of these types of lands. I usually wait for a really windy day with either a heavy rain or after a rain...... I havent found a good way to get in when there is a layer of snow though, too much noise.
One year I went into thick cover woods (post timber cutting woods), in Upstate NY, just after a snowfall. I was hunting with a doe tag as I had already killed a buck. The snow was wet as heck and was quiet as anything. I jumped some deer and they ran a little ways but I could not see them. Second time I jumped them I decided to kneel low right in the trail. The wind was in my favor so they didn't scent me. Sure as anything they started to look for me. Before long they came right out on to the logging road. I am guessing my blaze orange against fresh snow kind of kept me hidden, at least from what I have read about deer eyesight, I was guessing. Broadside 50 yard shot with my shotgun was easy. More venison in the freezer that year. My point is a wet fresh snow can be the one instance where you can be quiet and get close in snow.

One year I went into thick cover woods (post timber cutting woods), in Upstate NY, just after a snowfall. I was hunting with a doe tag as I had already killed a buck. The snow was wet as heck and was quiet as anything. I jumped some deer and they ran a little ways but I could not see them. Second time I jumped them I decided to kneel low right in the trail. The wind was in my favor so they didn't scent me. Sure as anything they started to look for me. Before long they came right out on to the logging road. I am guessing my blaze orange against fresh snow kind of kept me hidden, at least from what I have read about deer eyesight, I was guessing. Broadside 50 yard shot with my shotgun was easy. More venison in the freezer that year. My point is a wet fresh snow can be the one instance where you can be quiet and get close in snow.
Thank you for that! I will be adding that tip to my toolbox and I will make sure to use it as an excuse to go hunting!

Crawling through the tunnels in southeast Alaska there was always a chance to greet a brown bear up close and personal. Kind of got your heart started.

Back