Lock Times for Factory Rifles

.005 is a whole lot different than .050.

Whoops.....

Given a 24" barrel, the muzzle is 2 ft in front of the bullet.

100yds = 300ft

50 thousandths = .050

The deflection from the point of aim at 2ft is .050.

That is amplified by a factor of x150 (300 / 2)

.005 x 150 = 7.5 inches

Sorry thought you said 5 thousandths. Eitherway, cut 40% of that if you had a speed lock ;)

OK. So is it worth it to the average hunter? Will groups tighten in proportion to funds spent? As said earlier, never gave it a thought. Got some pretty targets from a bone stock rifle. And, to respond to Buzz, firing pin failures are rare. To have seen two of them is interesting. mtmuley

I agree you probably will see zero improvement in accuracy off the bench.

I wouldn't want to presume, as you might be that much better shooter, but I don't shoot as well from field positions as the bench. I know because I practice from them. I also know that the reason has nothing to do with my rifle, it is my fault. So to me the idea that the bullet gets away 40% faster could means I only pull the shot 3" instead of 5" when shooting at a antelope off an extended bipod at 300yds, after crawling 200yds to close the distance, with cactus needles in my palms.

I installed One in my 260 Rem 700 action and thought it was pretty neat. I have never had a firing pin failure but I have certainly had misfires, which could be the same thing. I'm not sure which pins this applies to but the Tubbs pin is noticeably lighter than some stock Remington pins which is a cheap way to save weight if you're trying to build a very light rifle. Also there is no comparison to the strength of these springs over stock springs, it's very evident. It's a cheap fun project for the amateur gunsmith so wether it works significantly better didn't really matter to me, I received pleasure just from tinkering and making the rifle a bit more "mine".

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back