Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Load for .338 Win Mag for a BAR??

Cornbread

Any powders, bullets, primers I should look at? Hunting elk in Montana. Shots could be 50-500 yards. Leupold scope on it. Thanks

My dad has hunted elk with a BAR for more than 50 years so I am a fan even though they weigh a ton. I hope you have a horse to carry yours. I gotta say any semi automatic in 338 is gonna do fine if you can shoot it. Strong bullet, but aren't all 338 bullets strong? That said, a few years back I hunted elk with a young man from Pennsylvania who toted a 338. He got a 250-ish yardish shot, prone at a standing broadside 6x6 bull in the evening. The bull was at the edge of a meadow, beside a small fir. Gimme, right? Well the first shot caught a branch and tumbled the slug. I went in sideways and penetrated a few inches. Follow upshot killed the bull outright. He recovered the slug from the first shot. The entrance hole was the perfect cut-out of sideways 338 bullet. The bullet itself was only slightly deformed at the tip. Not that I'm answering your question, but IMO no matter the question, the answer is shot placement. Enjoy your hunt.

The guy who taught me how to reload had a BAR in 338. I am pretty sure he used 210 gr Nosler Partitions.

I've used H4350 and H4831sc with good results. 225 gr accubonds and 250 gr partitions
My reloading guy had a lot of good to say about H4831sc. I also saw that powder recommended by Desert Dog on Youtube. That guy is a no B.S. type of hunter, and pretty knowledgeable.

My dad has hunted elk with a BAR for more than 50 years so I am a fan even though they weigh a ton. I hope you have a horse to carry yours. I gotta say any semi automatic in 338 is gonna do fine if you can shoot it. Strong bullet, but aren't all 338 bullets strong? That said, a few years back I hunted elk with a young man from Pennsylvania who toted a 338. He got a 250-ish yardish shot, prone at a standing broadside 6x6 bull in the evening. The bull was at the edge of a meadow, beside a small fir. Gimme, right? Well the first shot caught a branch and tumbled the slug. I went in sideways and penetrated a few inches. Follow upshot killed the bull outright. He recovered the slug from the first shot. The entrance hole was the perfect cut-out of sideways 338 bullet. The bullet itself was only slightly deformed at the tip. Not that I'm answering your question, but IMO no matter the question, the answer is shot placement. Enjoy your hunt. They ain't a deer.

I fell outta my chair laughing at your comment about owning a horse. I do own a horse but won't take him to Montana. That is indeed a heavy ass rifle!! I also bought a Mark 3 BAR in .300 Win Mag that is lighter. I was on the rifle team in college and am a pretty decent shot. Even the best can screw up though. I got my first Bull last Oct with my 7 Mag. Took 4 shots in the chest at 105 yards to anchor him. we were only 105 yards from the property line of a big ranch. I am amazed at how much stamina these elk have. They were all good shots. He just kept walking in a 5-10 yard circle. My biddy saw all the shots and he kept saying "Keep Shootin' Schmitty!" LOLOLOL. We still laugh about it. They ain't deer, right?

Back