LO depredation by state?

cantgetdrawn

In New Mexico the NMDGF cannot compensate directly for ungulate depredation. Instead landowners get compensated for the "habitat" they provide with transferable vouchers which allow the holder the ability to buy a unit wide tag or ranch only tag dependent on which of the programs the landowner qualifies. NM is the only western state that issues unit wide tags.

I was looking online trying to figure out how neighboring states deal with depredation and am having a hard time. For instance, AZ does not issue LO tags, but I could not find if they compensate LO for ungulate depredation.

So my question is:
How does your state deal with ungulate depredation and what percent of total Elk tags go to LO?

If you have a link that explains a given state's system, that would also be appreciated.

We have depredation tags/hunts, we have RO LO tags based on acreage, and 1/2 of our NR tags are available for Outfitters (hunter must be NR).

Idaho issues unit wide land owner appreciation (lap) tags that are good for the entire open hunting unit.

NM issues both RO and UW landowner authorizations.Depends on location and unit.
I know I'll get sh!t for this,but here goes.

I'm in the RO outside the COER program. I get tags for my 140 acres,but I have water and feed year round for elk.That's what my land is for,the wildlife. I have the only water year round in the area.

I think the LO tags in NM should all be RO and based on merit. Not who you know.
That said,the LO tags given to LO's are in ADDITION TOO the tags issued in public draw,they DO NOT come out of the public pool.
I know your going to say,then there should be 20k extra tags in pool.....maybe. But there is only so much public lands to hunt on.
I will not let the general public on my land if I don't know who it is,as I'd be looking at way more damage than what a few hundred elk can do.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with LO tags. They're used in most every western state.
Hank, you've talked about your setup before, don't think anybody has a problem with what you do and that you get a cpl tags. Most everybody agrees RO tags are the way to go and UW is where the problem exists.

In Montana there is a depredation hunt roster. You sign up for the unit of choice and wait. Most times there is no hunt. Usually the landowners just bitch about the game damage, then refuse access to tagholders. mtmuley

NM issues both RO and UW landowner authorizations.Depends on location and unit.
I know I'll get sh!t for this,but here goes.

I'm in the RO outside the COER program. I get tags for my 140 acres,but I have water and feed year round for elk.That's what my land is for,the wildlife. I have the only water year round in the area.

I think the LO tags in NM should all be RO and based on merit. Not who you know.
That said,the LO tags given to LO's are in ADDITION TOO the tags issued in public draw,they DO NOT come out of the public pool.
I know your going to say,then there should be 20k extra tags in pool.....maybe. But there is only so much public lands to hunt on.
I will not let the general public on my land if I don't know who it is,as I'd be looking at way more damage than what a few hundred elk can do.

I'd be willing to bet that tag numbers are set by the level of hunting pressure and harvest the herd can handle. Your opinion on this seems bias from my perspective.

Nothing wrong with LO tags. They're used in most every western state.
Hank, you've talked about your setup before, don't think anybody has a problem with what you do and that you get a cpl tags. Most everybody agrees RO tags are the way to go and UW is where the problem exists.

I think a revsion of the program is due. But as far as the elk program in a state system I believe it works.
One of the bright spots in NM is the elk hunting and the numbers have exploded in my unit. They increased the draw numbers and cut the LO tags. It works,I have no grips getting a couple tags. They also have over hunted a few trophy units and made them more CO like and with lots of little bulls......,IMHO.
But all in all NM has done pretty good job with wildlife,with the exception of the deer herd decimation that is going on.....BHS and such are tops too.The antelope and that whole LO deal is a mystery to me,but thats another thread too...sorry for the hijack.
I am kinda biased,I live in a elk hunters paridise.

Last edited:
I have hunted here for almost 40 years, the elk herd has grown substantially, the problem is the number of draw tags had never kept up with growth since most tags went to LOs. Since 2002 draw tags have decreased by over 30% statewide while LO tags have increased by 10%. Now over 50% of all available tags go to landowners and outfitters in NM. I doubt that any other state is that generous. The ratio of private/public land has not changed and saying the growth in LO tags is not at the expense of public draw tags is simply turning a biased eye to what has happened over the last few decades. The system is broken, its as simple as that.

As far as deer go, giving LOs unlimited tags while our deer population continues to decline makes no sense what-so-ever.

I have learned something from the answers but no one has answered the questions yet, so I will ask the questions in a different way.

Do any states pay direct compensation to LOs, other than CO?

What percentage of tags go to LOs in your state?

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back