Caribou Gear Tarp

LL Bean and other puffys

TexanSam

Hey guys, in anticipation for a this season I'm looking at getting a puffy jacket. I looked at the first lite uncompaghre (or however it's spelled) but then noticed that LL Bean has some puffy jackets for half the price.

Does anyone have any experience with them? I'd really like to try them on but I don't want to spend a Saturday driving all over the great plains trying to find stores that offer each brand I'm looking at.

If it makes any difference, the appeal of the puffy is how warm they can be while being light weight in the pack

I can’t speak to the ll bean, but I have the FL uncompahgre vest and jacket. I love both, they are comfortable, warm, and have also held up great so far but I won’t pretend they are cheap. The new version is on sale through today (20%). I think as of a couple years ago FL is also only available online so you wouldn’t be able to find it in store.

I’ve had a LL Bean down puffy jacket for 10 years, it is great. It lacks a few technical features but for the price it was hard to beat. It gets used for glassing so I don’t care that it isn’t camo

Like a lot of guys I wear a Costco Puffy...definitely not the lightest or warmest but perfect for early to mid season for me. Sometimes just a little bit more heat makes for very comfortable glassing (aka napping)

I think as long as it's not too flashy I wouldn't hesitate to us a "non hunting" line of clothing. I like the LL Bean version with the hoodie and the juniper color looks like it would work perfectly

There’s a lot of good advice about puffies in this thread:

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an LL Bean puffy if it had the features and fill I was looking for.

I've got a couple of different puffies. Uncompahgre is a good one. Not sure what's different between the original I have and the 2.0, but I'm sure it's still a great mid season insulation piece.

Like a lot of guys I wear a Costco Puffy...definitely not the lightest or warmest but perfect for early to mid season for me. Sometimes just a little bit more heat makes for very comfortable glassing (aka napping)

I think as long as it's not too flashy I wouldn't hesitate to us a "non hunting" line of clothing. I like the LL Bean version with the hoodie and the juniper color looks like it would work perfectly
I go this route. For the price I have a few of them. Leave them in my packs. Seem to work fine when I need a little extra warmth.

Went down this rabbit hole earlier this summer, which is really a tough time to be thinking about buying gear for cold weather.

I ended up settling on a 650 fill Eddie Bauer puffy. On sale it was almost 1/3 of the price of some of the big name brands. No camo, no magical fairy dust covering on the down, but it is down.

Spent a couple evenings/mornings at 38/40* and was very comfortable sitting around camp with a light merino base layer and that puffy.

Like others have said LL Bean would be good, and eddie bauer has good stuff too in their hiking / performance gear lines. I picked up an eddie bauer evertherm hooded puffy earlier this year in a tall size, great pricing available if you dont care a ton about the color...

Eddie Bauer’s 800 fill down jackets and vests are great. I have their downlight hooded jacket and microtherm vest. Pertex shell, very good DWR, and available for a great price on sale.
+1
Also, google “Whittaker Mountaineering” and go to their sale page. They are getting rid of lightly used gear from their guide operation, which barely ran this year. Puffies for 40-70% off, some in stock still at least when I looked earlier this week.

Never mind looks like most of their down is gone...some shells and gloves left.

I have an ultralite hooded LL Bean down jacket in an olive color I bought on sale a few years ago. It seems very warm to me and I really like it. I also have and like a hooded Patagonia Nano Puff jacket. You can find the Nano Puff on sale for less than $150 at times, and in good colors.

Although the LL Bean down is supposed to have some sort of treatment that helps with moisture, I usually take the Nano Puff along if I think rain is in the forecast. Of course, neither of these jackets are available in cool camo patterns.

I bought a Patagonia jacket with Pimaloft years ago. Dirt cheap. Well under $100. Best money I ever spent. But it's pretty ragged now and I can't find a replacement. I'll check LLB though for sure.

Bought the LLBean half zip hoodie they've been advertising for a while for $99. Read the reviews and sized accordingly off the reviews and seems like a nice puffy. Not super thick but not thin either. Am a layer'er so didn't want to bulky. Lot's of nice features and for a hundred bucks it's pretty good quality. The fit is a little different but fit me well.

Back