Caribou Gear

List of Politicians Who Support Public Lands

We do need to voice our support for the LWCF to our political leaders. I can't help but feel if the LWCF gets reauthorized this issue would finally be buried.

Congressman Raúl Grijalva (D) of Arizona - Against the the transfer of public lands

"Dear Mr. Novak:

Thank you for writing to me regarding the transfer and sale of public lands. I appreciate your thoughts on this important issue.

I am deeply committed to the sustainable management of our nation’s public lands and believe that conserving land for future generations is one of our government’s primary responsibilities to the American people. During my tenure in Congress, I have taken the lead on many land conservation issues, including sponsoring legislation that ensures the National Landscape Conservation System’s 30 million acres will be permanently protected. I have also introduced several bills designed to protect wilderness areas in the 114th Congress, which range from Arizona based initiatives, like the Southern Arizona Public Lands Protection Act of 2015, to national level legislation such as the Hardrock Mining Reform and Reclamation Act of 2015.

The last century has seen mining companies extract over $300 billion worth of gold, silver, copper, and other valuable metals from our public lands without paying royalties to the American people. They have purchased over 3 million acres of land at the 19th century rate of $5 an acre or less. Meanwhile, taxpayers are left responsible for tens of billions of dollars of cleanup costs for abandoned mines. Our public lands belong to every American, and I strongly oppose any measure that would sell off these lands or otherwise open them for resource extraction. This type of legislation is unacceptable, and puts private industry interests ahead of the interests of millions of Americans for whom this land has been set aside. We cannot allow these lands to be exploited for corporate profits.

In April I introduced H.R. 1814, called “To permanently reauthorize the Land and Water Conservation Fund”. This bill would seek to permanently reauthorize and appropriate the $900 million LWCF, ensuring the program will having consistent expenditure authority from year to year.

As the Ranking Member of the House Committee on Natural Resources, I will continue to fight against policies that threaten public lands or any American’s right to enjoy them. I will also continue to champion responsible updates to mining and public lands legislation that protect public interests, as well as measures that allow us to move forward into a clean renewable energy future.

I would like to thank you again for contacting me. Please know that my staff and I will be monitoring this issue closely to take the necessary steps to make sure your voice is heard on this issue in Congress. Democracy works best when we stay in touch, so I hope you will continue to contact me about the issues that matter most to you. Please visit grijalva.house.gov, where you can sign-up for e-mail updates, send a message to me about current events or pending legislation, access my statements and press releases, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. I am honored to serve you, so please never hesitate to contact me in the future."

CO State Rep Pete Lee:
Dear Mr. Sxyz,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the sale of public lands. I agree with your position and will stand firm against any attempt to divest federal lands to the state. As a state legislator, I am acutely aware of Colorado's budget challenges and our inability to properly maintain the public lands.

I am with you on this issue. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future and thank you for your interest in public policy.

Best wishes;

Pete Lee

Colorado State Representative

House District 18

200 East Colfax Avenue, Room 223

Denver, Colorado 80203

Office: 303-866-2932

Cell: 719 460-2834

www.peteleecolorado.com

Subscribe to Newsletter

CO State Rep Pete Lee:
Dear Mr. Sxyz,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the sale of public lands. I agree with your position and will stand firm against any attempt to divest federal lands to the state. As a state legislator, I am acutely aware of Colorado's budget challenges and our inability to properly maintain the public lands.

I am with you on this issue. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future and thank you for your interest in public policy.
r

Glad to see one of our state reps standing up and taking a stand. I have received nothing but vague form mail answers from Polis, Gardner and Bennet. Gardner sited the CO National Monument and then said local government needs to be involved. Bennett just said congress reauthorized the LWCF. Polis sent a vague answer but talked about his work on the Rocky Mountain Recreation and Wilderness Act.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back