LIFe of a bear.

Moosie

Grand poopa
Just curios on the Life of a bear....

Bears get born in the winter ? True or false ?

Bears milk and stay with mom the first full year and stop milking and eat off the land the 2nd summer then get kicked from mom ? true of false....

HOW old does a bear get on average ?

I know I can look it up but just curious with all you bear experts what the answers are
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

TIMING OF MAJOR LIFE HISTORY EVENTS :

Breeding Season - May and June; mate about every 2 years

Gestation - delayed implantation of 6 to 7 months, until October or November

Birthing Season - Late November through February; one to three cubs average; cubs remain with mother 1 or 2 years

Age of Maturity - 5 to 7 years, can mature in 3 years

Life Span - may exceed 30 years, but 10 years in the wild is average

Hibernation - 4 to 7 months between October and May; lasts longer in
cold climates

~~~~~~~~~

Reproduction: Females reach sexual maturity at 3 to 4 years of age and mating will take place in June, July and August. Pairs may come together for a few hours or several days, copulating many times. Gestation is approximately 220 days and the cubs are born in their mother's winter den in January or February. Cubs are weaned at around 8 months but may remain with their mother for a year and a half.

~~~~~~~~~~~

REPRODUCTION Females reach sexual maturity at three to four years of age and males a year or so later. Mating takes place in June, July, and August, and pairs may remain together for only a few hours or for several days. Pregnancy last s about 220 days, and the cubs are born in a maternity den in January and February. Litter size ranges from one to five, but two is the average. Cubs may be weaned at six to eight months, but they remain with their mothers for a year and a half. Conseque ntly, the most often that female black bears can mate, unless they lose their cubs prematurely, is every two years. Longevity in the wild is 20 to 25 years.

When they started doing there bear studys in 32, I know one of the first sows they recorded up little weiser was a 24 yr old sow and she weighed 127 pds. My buddy killed one in OR and it was almost 30 yrs old, 29 I think. Now you know why us houndguys just like to run them to keep them in shape and give them there cardiovascular workout...after all you masterbaiters clog there arterys with twinkies and grease...life expectancy isn't that long.....lol. Someones got to keep them in shape...so theres always some seed for new stock ...LOL....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back