Licensed Guide requirement for hunting

For what it's worth, the only hunt where I've felt in danger was an outfitted hunt in Alaska. Crappy tents, no working stove, no working water filter. We have wall tents for horseback camps or bombproof Mountain Hardware tents, backup stoves and filters for backpacking. You'd think outfitters could do as well. I don't know all that many folks who have gone to Alaska, and have heard many scary outfitter tales. So don't pretend it's about safety; it's about money.

They could
I think it would be tough for states to regulate non-consumptive recreational activities on federal land. With hunting and fishing, they mange the resource, and can thus control the activities via license and tag regs.
Just as easily make hiking / mountaineering licenses a thing. If those folks dont need a guide, why do i?

They could

Just as easily make hiking / mountaineering licenses a thing. If those folks dont need a guide, why do i?
Not sure about the constitutionality of that. As far as I understand, states can manage wildlife as they see fit, but I don't know if they can discriminate against NR for travel.

Early in the pandemic, our governor was trying to limit NR tourists coming into our state. He was unable to close federal properties to NR ONLY (he was allowed to shut down federal properties to everyone, R and NR alike). He shut NRs out of state owned properties. Perhaps he could've pushed the envelope, but probably didnt want a federal court case.

I think it would be tough for states to regulate non-consumptive recreational activities on federal land. With hunting and fishing, they mange the resource, and can thus control the activities via license and tag regs.
True, but the argument being made was about the cost of non-guided hunters going out by themselves and needing help, which costs $$$.

To your point, other states don't require a guide to go out and hunt, yet each of those states manage their own resources. Also, if that's truly the case then why don't fisherman have to have guides to fish in Alaska? They are consumptive users. What's the difference?

Lets just be honest about this, the main reason is to guarantee guides a business...plain and simple. Any other reason is just BS. It's not about consumptive resource, it's not about the cost if someone gets in trouble. Can we just start being honest.

True, but the argument being made was about the cost of non-guided hunters going out by themselves and needing help, which costs $$$.

To your point, every other state doesn't require a guide to go out and hunt, yet each of those states manage their own resources. Also, if that's truly the case then why don't fisherman have to have guides to fish in Alaska? They are consumptive users. What's the difference?

Lets just be honest about this, the main reason is to guarantee guides a business...plain and simple. Any other reason is just BS. It's not about consumptive resource, it's not about the cost if someone gets in trouble. Can we just start being honest.
I wasn’t arguing whether a state should mandate guides for hunting (or fishing), but rather was saying that I don’t think they have the authority to mandate guides for non-consumptive activities. I’m actually not in favor of state’s mandating guides, but it is within their authority to do so since they control the resource. Not so much for non-consumptive uses.

I wasn't inferring you felt one way or the other, was just responding to your post.

Still, it's only about the money...there's no other reason that I can see. I bet if Alaska thought they wouldn't tank their NR fishing license sales by requiring a guide, they'd do it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back