Leupy Compact Spotters?

Bambistew

Anyone have any experience with them? Either the new vairable Gold rings or the older Fixed 25x 50mm? I kind of want a compact jobber, and from what I read these are about as good as it gets for compact/weight.

I had a Leupold 30x60, and it didn't have enough eye relief, IMO. I sold it on ebay and bought a Kowa 60mm scope with a fixed 25x extended eye relief eye piece. That's the only experience I have with Leupold spotting scopes. But I would stay away from them as I think there are better scopes out there for the same money. However, I am a big fan of their riflescopes.

I'v had one for over a decade now, one was stolen and I bought a new one.
So I guess that I thought it was worth it. I like mine. I can stick it in my pack and hardly notice it's there.

My cousin embarassed the heck out of me by being able to spot twice as many bucks as I could with his really old Leupold fixed 25X50 one evening. The sun was going down and bucks were popping up all over the place. He would point out exactly where a buck had just lifted his head up from his bed, I'd crank my cheap Bushnell (the older ones were much better) up on the spot -and I'd see nothing. He'd move over, and there was the buck (exactly where I couldn't see him with my spotting scope) perfectly detailed in his spotter. Learned my lesson the hard way; don't expect to see much unless you pay for good glass.
When I look through his Leupold, everything isn't crystal-clear and the edges are a little dull, except directly in the center of the field of view where everything is razor-sharp and bright. I don't know if that is because it's old and used or not. Still, you can't ask for more.

I have a new 15x30 varible and have been happy with it so far. The only thing I don't like is at 30 power I am at the very end with no more room to focus. I think I may send it back in to have them check it. Used it in NM for oryx and eastern mt for mule deer. The light weight and small size it fits great in my pack and don't know it is there. Small tripod attached and it works great. Probably not as good as some european glass but for my price range it works fine. JMO

My dad has one of the 25x50's and I wasn't very impressed. Kind of a combination of what WH and DD said. Not the best eye relief and not very sharp around the edges. Low light performance wasn't the best either. I don't have any experience with their variable power spotter but I think you could find nicer glass than the 25x50. Optics are funny, though. They don't look the same to every person or what you're looking for in a spotter might not be the same as the next guy. The 25x50 is very light and compact so it would be good size for the pack. If you have the option, get your hands on as many as you can and see which one you like best. By the way, I'm a leupold fan too (most of my scopes and my binoculars) so I'm not just hatin'..

I don't have a leupold spotter but I have used them before and I think they work great for there size. The only other scope I would buy would be a swarovski but that's $2500.

A buddy bought the little gold ring 15x30x 50mm and it is a kick ass little spotter.

Thanks guys!

I was wondering about the older fixed scopes as I've seen a few for sale at reasonable prices. I don't think that Leupy makes them any longer though. Right now I think I'm leaning toward the new Gold Ring compact model. I've yet to hear a bad review on them, even the 'bird' guys seem to think they are pretty slick.

On the fixed power models, they are not made anymore. I spent some time behind a 25x model. Mediocre IMO.

Problem I see with some of the compacts is use at dawn/dusk. This shouldn't be as big a problem for the variables as you can crank them down to the lower end. Just my take...

Though the packability of them is VERY attractive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back