Leupold vs Zeiss

I’m all for buying American and I do as much as possible...however do some digging and see the number of complaints related to Leupolds issues with dialing and you may get reluctant about spending around $1000 hoping you don’t have the issue...

I'm hoping not. I purchased a VX-R late last year, so far it's been flawless. Have a VX-5HD coming and hoping for the same.

I'm hoping not. I purchased a VX-R late last year, so far it's been flawless. Have a VX-5HD coming and hoping for the same.
There are a ton of guys out there that don’t have issues with their Leupolds but if you dig around there are too many for me to feel
Completely comfortable ordering one

One is made in Japan, one is made in the United States, they’re both good scopes but one is made in Japan and one is made the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
That statement isn't correct.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200425-094226.png
    Screenshot_20200425-094226.png
    241.3 KB · Views: 45
That statement isn't correct.
It is to an extent. Glass in both comes from the same source but the tube, bell , dial, erector, assembly, coatings, and general labor is USA on the Leupold. The Zeiss not so much

I love my VX 5. I also have a VX 6 and many VX 3's. Some of the 3's have CDS dials as do the 6 and 5. I have not had any issues with accurate dialing. Last year I shot my deer at 503 yds with my vx 5 scoped rifle. Dialed just fine. In 2016 shot a deer at 490 yds with a rifle with a VX 3 and CDS. I also shoot a lot at the range out to about 550 yds and the dials have never failed me. YMMV. The VX 5 is probably my favorite scope for hunting. It's the HD Model and has the firedot reticle. It's an impressive optic and worth the $ in my opinion. The only Zeiss I have is a 3x9 that is also excellent but not ranging ability. Good Luck.

I switched from Leupold 3x9x40 basic to a Ziess Conquest V6 3.5x14x44 and gave the Leupold to a buddy.
No regrets,no dials. Cost half list price NIB.....have to wait for shooting time now all the time @ 1st light.

All my Leupy’s worked great too, until they didn’t. Below the MK5 line I won’t trust a Leupold to consistently dial accurately, RTZ and hold zero under heavy recoil. Too bad because VX5/6’s specs are awesome and I’d own a bunch if the internals held up. If you dial much opt for the V4, mine (along with NF, Razor LHT’s and SWFA’s) have been perfect.

As a new scope test I generally spend a month dialing top to bottom of erector travel 10-20 times between shots out to 1300yds and demand perfect tracking & RTZ. The ones that pass the test ride on my hunting rigs. Sadly I have zero Leupolds.

I was hunting two year's ago with a friend who has a Zeiss V4. It was a brand new scope and had never been taken hunting (only range practice). The temps were around 0 to low single digits that day, and we got setup on a really nice buck that was chasing does. My friend had a really hard time dialing up yardage, and adjusting the magnification. It was as if the lubricant they use had frozen up. He even handed me the rifle and told me to try turning the turret. It was so bad that I thought I was going to break something. Back at the cabin, we let the rifle warm up after a few hours, and tried the scope again. Everything worked perfectly without resistance, so it had to be the temperature. I told him to send the scope back to Zeiss, but I don't think he has. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, maybe it was a fluke? I have two Leupold VX5s and love them.
Great reason not to fart around with turrets.

I switched from Leupold to Zeiss 20 years ago and havent looked back.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back